Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2002 Focus ZX5 that i purchased in february 2006 and a few days ago i started hearing a grinding noise comeing from the front brakes so i knew it was time to change them. So right now i am in the process of changing them.
I have everything taken apart and discovered the cause, the D.S outside pas has no pad on it at all its nothing but metal. My question is should change the rotor as well? and is this something that happens quite often on our cars? The rotor seems to be in pretty good shape, my concern is that there is a small lip on the outside edge of the rotor. I dont want to have to take it all apart again if that will cause another problem shortly down the line.
Like i said i have everything taken apart right now so quick responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
The rotor should have marked on it somewhere what the acceptable minimum thickness is. You can then measure it with a micrometer. In the "old days" rotors always were resurfaced when new pads where put on, but with the thinner discs that are on nowadays, if the grooving/ridging isn't too bad, most shops do not grind the discs down anymore.

If you want to really do the job right, you can take the rotors to an automotive machine shop and ask them to resurface it (check with the parts places, such as NAPA... if they do not offer the service, they surely can refer you to such a place). A good shop will measure the rotor and tell you if it can be resurfaced, or if you should replace the rotor.

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
Eh........I upgraded when i did my brakes. I got Powerslot Rotors and Hawk Pads when it was time to do my front brakes. I got the everything for $160 shipped to my door. Along with the better stopping ability, i get a lot less brake dust on my rims. They're sooooooo much better over the stockers and for roughly the same price maybe a little bit more.

You COULD leave it on there, but it's so easy to swap out the rotors and know you have a good set on there. Especially since you haven't owned the car for a very long time [thumb]

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
i got new powerslot rotots and reg brake pads cuz i had no cash for the hawk pads at the time, anyways, if i ever get all the air out of the system ill tell ya how well it works, and if anyone know why or how i got in in their plz pm me, thanks

and good luck i say they should be fine, just get new pads for the time being, and if they groove out the rotor or if rotor gets warped down the road, then just get new rotors then, save a few bucks today tho

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help i ended up just changing everything out today so that i wouldnt have to do it all over again. i have one last question after they're in, is there a break in procedure?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts