Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, this has probably been asked on here before, but i searched and couldnt really find anything that answered my question. i've never changed pads before, and this is my first time, so please forgive me for bein such a noob [8]

on the front brakes for the svt, there's that little wire thingy that prevents the caliper from moving around. i was wondering if that thing really IS a pain to take off, or is there some sort of special tool or some kind of trick to taking it off and putting it back on? i did the driver's side already, but it took me several hours to get the thing back on, and i think i may have bent the clip a little as well... [8] i just wanted to know before i went and did the passenger side as well?

any type of comments would be appreciated!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I STILL haven't put the clips back in, gonna try it this week with some needle-nose locking pliers. I'll post up as to what success I have. These have been a horrible thorn in my side the last 2 previous attempts, so hopefully the third time's a charm!!!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ooo; cool, thanks! that helps a lot! wow, so u can actually replace the pads without taking those things off? gotta try that... i'll try and take some pics so maybe it'll be useful in the future!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alternate approach to replacing clip

I realize this is an old (but useful) thread but I just went through the process of changing the pads and rotors on my 2003 SVT and this is how I solved the problems of the Cursed Clips. I posted annotated picture at https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B84I...it?usp=sharing but if you can't see it here are the steps.

1. Hold the clip roughly horizontal and put pin into lower hole.
2. Rotate the clip into position so the lower "arm" is on top of the caliper bracket where it should be.
3. Place the top pin into the top hole with the upper "arm" underneath the caliper bracket. The clip is now approximately in the correct location, with just the upper "arm" out of place.
4. Use a large clamp (I used a furniture clamp) to lightly hold the upper pin in place.
5. Use a screwdriver to easily slide the upper "arm" over the top of the caliper bracket.

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
Or you can take off with vice grips, place on ground with vice grips still attached, and reinstall with vice grips. Done. I grab the clip near we're it enters the caliper. I do my brakes a few times a year and do use vice grips every time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts