Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit one of nyc's many potholes but to my dismay it damaged my stock 16" rim. I was planing on buying new wheels for the car so rather then getting the rim replaced I was going to puchase some oz micheangelo 8's. the recomended tire size for this rim at 16" is 205/50/16. I wanted to go a little bigger with the tire in hopes that I don't smash these rims. I was thinking of getting a 205/55/16 so I can have more meat on the rim. any reason why this isn't a good idea?

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Reduced steering feel and handling precision, but if you're not a big performance guy then that really won't make a ton of difference. What will make more difference is getting a good "Touring" style tire that has a softer sidewall.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
We have 205/55-16 snow tires on the stock 16 inch wheels on our focus. They only rub at full steering lock. They should work OK if the OZ wheels are the same offset as stock or within a few millimeters of stock. If they're significantly less, the odds that rubbing will occur greatly increases. The 205/55-16 was an older performance standard that came on many cars (WRX's for example) and there are lots of good tires available in that size. The 55's will be taller and will impact your speedo and odometer a lttle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts