Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ZX3
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm going to attempt to change my PCV valve next weekend. I've found a few good threads on here with advice, I just wanted to put out an all call and see if anyone has any useful tricks or tips that may make it easier. Looks like a real pain to get to.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,589 Posts
A pair of long needle nose pliers can help grab it as it is in a difficult location to reach unless you have small hands. The rubber grommet it sits in gets hard after awhile and makes it difficult to pull out.

The short L-shaped hose at the front of the engine sometimes needs to be replaced, but the longer PCV hose at the rear is quite often a failure item. Check the rear hose carefully where it attaches to the intake below the throttle body to see if it has a soft area right at the 90 degree bend.

·
Registered
2003 ZX3
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A pair of long needle nose pliers can help grab it as it is in a difficult location to reach unless you have small hands. The rubber grommet it sits in gets hard after awhile and makes it difficult to pull out.

The short L-shaped hose at the front of the engine sometimes needs to be replaced, but the longer PCV hose at the rear is quite often a failure item. Check the rear hose carefully where it attaches to the intake below the throttle body to see if it has a soft area right at the 90 degree bend.
Will do, thanks! Long straight needle nose or do you think curved tip may allow easier access?? And when I tried looking at it (even that was hard) it looked like there may have been a clip or something? Or does it just pull off?

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,589 Posts
Curved tip would work good since you have them. From the factory there are no clips/clamps on the front hose, but someone may have added them. The PCV valve and hose pulls off...some twisting helps to get it loose.

On the rear hose there is factory clamp at the intake. Be careful trying to remove it as the intake is plastic and can break. The factory clamp has one side marked with yellow paint. Put a small screwdriver in there and twist...it should pop open.

·
Registered
2003 ZX3
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Curved tip would work good since you have them. From the factory there are no clips/clamps on the front hose, but someone may have added them. The PCV valve and hose pulls off...some twisting helps to get it loose.

On the rear hose there is factory clamp at the intake. Be careful trying to remove it as the intake is plastic and can break. The factory clamp has one side marked with yellow paint. Put a small screwdriver in there and twist...it should pop open.
That's HUGELY helpful, thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts