Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
☼
7,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard are changing brake pads (front)? I never did it, and I'm about to tackle it tomorrow afternoon.. is it a simple swap? Anything I need to watch out for? Thanks.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Not bad, just secure the car well with Jackstands and do one side at a time, that way if you have a question, you can look at the other side. Get some spray brake clean and clean the brake piston off before you push it back in, thats about it, otherwise pretty straight forward.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
I got a couple HOW TO's in the archive (link is in my signature) but I don't believe they have much for actual pics...... check them out though.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I see i'm a bit late, but those retainer clips can be a PITA sometimes. Or am I just doing it wrong?(Sorry, I dont mean to threadjack)

·
Registered
29 Posts
what pads did you go with? i need to do this within the next month or two. might just get a whole rotor (feeling a bit warped but it could be mental) and pad combo. any recommended places to get them?
looking for good grip and low dust, if that's possible. thanks!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just did the pads today with the rotors... OMFG, swear they should make cars specifically for women. the inner pad on the driver's side wasn't only worn but there was negative pad left! she was litterally using the metal pad backing as the inner pad! strange how it wore funny but eh... got hte hawk and the durrbear whatever rotors. so far it brakes just fine. did i notice a difference? nope, i don't drive it. did she notice a difference? nope... she just knows the right one is gas and the left one is brake.

next on the "to fix" list: the CEL because of the stuck emmissions value defect... thanks ford.

oh, just a little pointer: compress the caliper BEFORE you take it off. just use a flathead and wedge it in the pad area and push them back. i wish i took some pictures of explain but you'd find a way. once you get the calipers off with the pads, just pop off the inside pad and push it in some more.. probably 3-4mm's are left.

everything else is cake except taking the wheels off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts