Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Focus ZX5 SES Hatch 2.0
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to get opinions on this - my 2006 2.0 has had motorcraft 5w-20 syn blend for every oil change since new for all I know. I inherited it from my grandmother who took it to dealer for changes, that's what they used and I've used since I got it in 2018. Thinking about switching to pennzoil platinum just because the great yearly rebate deals, I can get 5qts for $12 after sale and rebates. Car has ~85,000 on it. I've heard about oil leaks appearing after switching - any thoughts on if best to stick with motorcraft, go with penn plat, or try penn plat high mileage? Just want to avoid any possible oil leaks popping up.

·
Registered
581 Posts
At 167k miles on a 2001 I've never used high mileage. No leaks, no consumption. I change brands whenever I find oil on sale. Never Pennzoil though, I've heard too many complaints about it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not sure I buy into oil brand causing leaks?

But then again ... I'm the ******* that buys bottle water. I'm sure we can get people that claim there is a huge difference between Smart water, Walmart bottle water, and tap water filtered from a Brita filter ... but figging water is water.

I had a fluid dynamics instructor who anwsered the "what is the best oil" question for me. The brand of oil is of no consequence .... compared to the regularity of oil changes. Instead of buying the most expensive oil .... by the cheapest and change it more frequently.

·
Registered
2006 Focus ZX5 SES Hatch 2.0
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven't experienced it myself, but heard people say after using conventional, then switching to synthetic they had seepage/leaks occur around oil pan, etc. I've heard gunk can build up essentially plugging small leaks then synth cleans it out and leak develops. Not brand specific more-so dino going to synth related apparently

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've heard that too. But I switch types and still no leaks. Too many variables to know for sure. The only thing certain is uncertainty.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I've heard of the same thing too but there are never any real studies documented. Pennzoil Plat does meet the same Ford requirement WSS-M2C945-B1 as the MC 5w-20 Synthetic blend does so I'd say just go for it. If you notice anything weird then just switch back to MC 5w-20 ($18 for 5qt at walmart).

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I've swapped brands on all my vehicles and it's never been a problem. I doubt you need high mile oil at 85K. I've never bothered with it (at close to 140K now).

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I use Pennzoil Platinum 5W30. Don't worry about it.

Great oil for a good price one of the best actually.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Opinions vary. But no name oil on sale works in my car. No leaks, no consumption, good compression at 167k miles. That's a fact.
I really don't care what you do with your car. I'm only replying because you quoted my post.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Many people say use distilled water in your radiator but these people say the opposite.
Yes, with concentrated coolant in a 50/50 ratio (or just buy pre-mix 50/50.) In a closed loop system, pure distilled water will pull ions from the metal and stabilize fast. When mixed with anti-freeze there's zero risk.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Many people say use distilled water in your radiator but these people say the opposite.

www.hyperlube.com/blog/blog/why-you-should-never-use-distilled-water-in-your-cooling-system/

FWIW. IDK. They sell Super Coolant so who knows.

Water out of the tap contains dilluted solids ...... HUMAN FECES. Sure it is such a small amount that it will never hurt you to drink it ... but if you leave those solids in your coolant system for a few years it will probably start to cloud up and start clogging things up.

Maybe you are out in the sticks ... and have well water from a pristine pure aquifer ..... but here in the city ... we send all our waste water to a sewage treatment facility to be repurposed back into drinking water.

I would think any bottled water would work... just not the POO tap water.

·
Registered
17,771 Posts

Water will even pull off ions of itself, making the whole ion thing somewhat moot.........

To OP, early synthetic oils could make leaks as they softened seals too much, they got modified due to the complaints and now not nearly so much of a problem. I change brands all over the map and no trouble at all but I run thicker oil which is harder to leak anyway. Go to 10-30 and you will have no leaks,

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
I gave the link so nobody would HAVE to trust me ditz boy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wanted to get opinions on this - my 2006 2.0 has had motorcraft 5w-20 syn blend for every oil change since new for all I know. I inherited it from my grandmother who took it to dealer for changes, that's what they used and I've used since I got it in 2018. Thinking about switching to pennzoil platinum just because the great yearly rebate deals, I can get 5qts for $12 after sale and rebates. Car has ~85,000 on it. I've heard about oil leaks appearing after switching - any thoughts on if best to stick with motorcraft, go with penn plat, or try penn plat high mileage? Just want to avoid any possible oil leaks popping up.
I chatted with a mechanic about Penzoil oils, he said it left a yellow color on metal when it got hot. I was looking at 2 crankshafts, one was actually yellowed, the other was still shiny newlooking, both Over 100k. If I remember right, he sad Penzoil was wax based. Or had a wax product in it. I stopped using all Penzoil products. Wax buildups stop oil from moving. I can’t imagine what the buildup would look like in engine oil ports…. I did just replace 2 Tranny fluids of Escapes with 140k, went back to new shifting, but I added 1/2 bottle of Lucas Transmission slip into both. Just a heads up. Both had me very concerned.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Pennzoil synthetic motor oil is made from natural gas.

The Pennzoil wax thing is something that won't die several decades old probably more than that actually.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts