Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing inner tie rod on 2004 focus. Currently have right side only jacked up and leftt side chocked. Only have two jack stands currently. Was about to knock out front bolt but wondered if I would be adding stress to steering rack or something in this configuration?

I could move one of the jack stands to the left front and just leave the rear on the ground or just press on in the current config if nothing to be concerned about

Thanks

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
If talking removing the front bolt of the rack then BOTH front tires need to be off the ground, safety issues not doing so. Tires need to be unloaded or car can shift on one only with all front weight on it. Putting a lot of load on the steering column detent as well there.

·
Thats What She Said
10,664 Posts
Its also advised to replace both sides. Jack the front up. put a tire choke or 2x4 behind the rear tires, pull the parking brake, and put your two jack stands at the front.

But I will cautiously say this, if you are questing how to jack the car up, an inner tie rod replacement while is not difficult requires a fair amount of disassemble. make sure you have all the tools and have read and re-read the process.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts