Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried searching and couldn't find this anywhere.

Is it possible to change out the manual climate control to the dual zone auto climate control?

I would assume you would have to get the control unit (obviously) and the sensors for it.

Anyone have any insight? And please don't post the "why would you want to do this?" or anything else unproductive.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Why would you want to do this?
(I am laughing... sorry, I just had too)
Well? it is a rasonable question. What the mrs wants it 80F and you want it 68F???

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
I bet it would be a process considering the computer is hooked to everthing and you'd have to make sure the motors (and number of motors) is the same from the manual version. I'm betting it's cost prohibitive at this time.

·
Registered
329 Posts
My guess given the complexity of the system.. and to insure you get everything you need... Is to find a wreck with the dual climate auto setup, buy the whole damn car and do a transplant. The wreck will also give you a good guide for installing in to yours to know how everything is supposed to fit, and where everything goes... plus you also can salvage other goodies and useful backup parts from it and scrap the remainder when you complete your project..

·
Registered
126 Posts
Main control unit is only @ $200 at fordparts.com. I'm gussing probably 350ish in total parts. If you could get a diagram from a tech, you'd probably have a better idea of what you're in for. I'm votting not impossible, and if its what you want to do, do it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Haha, I see you thought about this as well OP. I looked into the parts when I was looking for the Escape knobs and it sure doesn't look cheap... or fun to do.

It looked like most of the climate system would need to be switched over.

Why would you want to do this?
(I am laughing... sorry, I just had too)
Well? it is a rasonable question. What the mrs wants it 80F and you want it 68F???
I think really it's more of a cosmetic thing. Looks nicer than the manual controls.

The OP and I were looking at the Escapes manual knobs in another thread (which look nicer). He probably noticed, like I did, that the auto control assembly was about the same price... and looks nicer... so why not try and use it instead?

Main control unit is only @ $200 at fordparts.com. I'm gussing probably 350ish in total parts. If you could get a diagram from a tech, you'd probably have a better idea of what you're in for. I'm votting not impossible, and if its what you want to do, do it.
That's not a terrible price, but from what I was looking at it looked quite a bit more expensive. However, it's hard to tell what exactly all needs replaced and what can be reused between the two (even though the parts site lists every part between the manual and auto as different).

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went on Ford parts and added the control unit and the sensors to my car...it was around $350, so that was accurate. I would def need to speak to someone to make sure all the parts are in there. I was really just toying with the idea, not sure if I'm going to do it.

The most expensive parts were the control unit and the trim piece where it goes on the dash. All the sensors are between 5-25 bucks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I went on Ford parts and added the control unit and the sensors to my car...it was around $350, so that was accurate. I would def need to speak to someone to make sure all the parts are in there. I was really just toying with the idea, not sure if I'm going to do it.

The most expensive parts were the control unit and the trim piece where it goes on the dash. All the sensors are between 5-25 bucks.
I think there's other stuff missing also.
There's the variable speed fan controller (may be controlled by the new HVAC controls?)...and a flapper door that allows dual-zone control. I am almost certain that the dual-zone door is deleted in the manual HVAC car. Also, The ductwork may need some rerouting to accommodate dual-zones.

If you get 2 fan speeds for the dual-zone controls, then you'd also need another cabin fan.

I think it can be done. I just can't figure out why you'd bother.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I wouldnt care if it was fully automatic. If I could just manually work thefan I'd be happy.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Not possible- the manual climate control has only one blend door to mix hot/cold air and distribute it between sides, the automatic has two.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone attempted to do this and been successful? I have a running and driving 2013 SE, and a wrecked 2012 titanium for parts. I want to try this, but dont want to mess anything up. I intend to swap the entire dash and hvac unit. before I attempt this, I would just like to know if it will require any reprogramming of any computers in the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts