Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a simple question for the person that knows the right answer! We are trying to change the cv joints on a 2000 Focus. Got the whole front end pieces all disconnected and the axle was free and clear. But there was no way we could pull the axle out. What did we miss? Maybe push in and rotate a quarter turn, what? Couldn't find any clips or bolts in the tranny.
Any idea will be a great help.
Thanks a million for your help.
Joe B

·
Registered
157 Posts
I HAVE NEVER PERFORMED THIS REPAIR, but My Haynes manual says for the left-hand side, use a lever or slide hammer between the inner driveaxle joint and the transaxle case, and pry it out. There's a snap ring on the end of this shaft which you'll want to replace when you reinstall. For the right hand side, after you've removed the axle support bearing bracket and you're ready to remove the shaft, you should be able to slide it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I tried that with a slide hammer and it didn't come out. Thats why I was wondering if I had to twist or turn or anything. I beat on it pretty good, if it was going to come out, it would of.
Thanks again for the reply, any other ideas out there???

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
You dont twist the shaft out or anything like that. Just use a really big screwdriver or a prybar at the trans where it goes in. A quick, simi firm jolt should do it. Theres a internal snap ring holding it in there. NEVER pull on the shaft itself, you will pull the shaft out of the cv cup at the trans if you pull too hard, lol. Put the tip of the prybar between the trans case and the lip of the axle where they come together and give a quick pry.

·
Registered
602 Posts
They are really hard to get out some times, the locking ring is made of steel (from factory) If y have a replacement shaft they are made from bronze,and a bit easier to remove,but its still hard (take care not 2 break off pieces of the gearbox
when prying it out)

·
Registered
538 Posts
hey, check it out....I just called ford every name in the book after pulling this crappy engineered left CV out. I'm doing the wheel bearings and pushing 100k miles, so I said what the hell, i'll do the CVs to save myself from doing it later. Did the passenger side no prob. I've spent all night on the drivers side and now have to drive my truck to work cuz this hunk of $h*t is still in peices.
The only way I was able to get the CV out was to use a slide hammer(puller) and I had to grind down one of my grabber teeth for the hammer because the CV has a rounded edge making it a horror show to get a hold of.
The best grab I got was by having the hammer directly under the car and directly in line with the tranny and driveline, and angled slightly downward while putting some upward pressure on the edge of the hammer near your "grabbing point". I had to whale on it pretty good about 10 times...probably due to the good ol vermont winters and 100k miles.
Hope that helped at all, and if you need a pic r two let me know. Oh, and watch out for the fluid to come out...depending on the angle it's at.

on that note, anyone do this loose the hub in the process. I beat the end of that CV like it's cool and it will not come free from the splines of the hub. I'm about to plasma cut it off, and get a new hub.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good info

Thanks a million guys. I was beating on it pretty good but without knowing if I was missing something, I was afraid to hammer the crap out of it. I'll go back into it and finish the job. It might end up being good therapy for me to finish beating on it now, after all it has put me through.
Great website, thanks again for the info.
JB

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just a quick question in regards to this. I am working on the passenger side cv axle/joint whatever, and have taken off the middle clamp and the outer bolt but am I supposed to pry at the diff/tranny? If so, I will go out there and do it but I couldn't pull it out or even move it any other way. Thank you in advance, the sooner an answer, the better, too. :)

Damian

·
Registered
544 Posts
Have you removed the lower ball joint stud so you can swing the knuckle up and off the end of the drive shaft? The outer end needs to be removed from the hub first, then the axle will simply pull out of the transmission.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nevermind got it off but now the outer part of the shaft seems to be frozen (rust) to the hub. Fack!!! Please tell me there isn't some kind of locking mechanism (nut, washer or whatever on the thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts