Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Zetec in a VW 4WD Vanagon
4.86 ratio with 27" tires

Does anyone has knowledge of Cams that will improve mid range (3000-4000K) I have plenty of low end and really don't need anything over 5000K.
The torque I have at 3500 causes me to down shift on hills, I would like to get some more grunt around 3000.
Who are the major cam makers for these engines?

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
My first though is that this isn't the engine type likely to have aftermarket "torquer" cams made for it, unlike a Truck V8.

Cams will come in various levels of upgrade to enhance power at higher RPM, the "Stage 1" type losing the least power down low.

Might think on adjustable cam gears & dyno tuning, powerband can be raised or lowered a bit with cam timing and the stock cams are likely the best you can find for low end power.

Pushing a vanagon with a 2.0 is going to require some downshifts, had to with a Truck version 2.2 in my small P/U as well on every hill.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
dunno.
I see those gears and tires and wonder how healthy this engine really is ... or what kind of speeds you're trying to maintain at grade?
15* and 60MPH, odds are anything is going to have to grab a lower gear. Don't expect miracles. 5th is an overdrive gear most times (no clue on what trans you have).

Personally I'd look into better fuel and a tune before cams because there really isn't a 'towing cam' for a Focus. The stage I/II are for power more than TQ. You might add 5-10ft/lb. Which shouldn't make any difference at all / not worth the money for your case.

·
FF Affiliate
30,607 Posts
Agree , what header do you have ? can you get the SVT header to work ? what size Exh ? what other mods do you have now ? is it tuned ?

Tom

·
Registered
16,022 Posts
That's the one with the super hotbox area (muffler) right next to motor. Zetecs sap midrange torque like a b-tch in stock form when they get plenty hot and I wondered further back if that would be a problem on that swap. I got 3 of them and they all do it in Texas heat. Like a lost 20 hp. Winter acts like another engine there.

As well a JY engine used there thinking and compression off from age or other makes them need to downshift as well, stock ATX ones can pull a 10 degree slope easily when new and ring seal optimum but as they pass 125K miles and rings go away they get worse and worse about torque loss going up hills, they begin to downshift occasionally then eventually all the time and sometimes two gears because motor power has dropped to make the TPS get more and more into the downshift area of the throttle sweep. In short, the load forces you to get too deep into the throttle because power is down from weaker engine.

Any cam that increases duration will make the problem worse and the problem, all the aftermarket cams increase it. You need more lift alone with no duration at all and OEM cam only one that gets close to that.

Could maybe advance the OEM intake, along with that increasing the overlap slightly by retarding exhaust may help (lowers peak torque rpm point) but makes engine peakier by narrowing it. Advancing exhaust moves peak torque higher in power band. Stock zetec cam timing has the torque peak roughly around 4000 rpm..................one would probably be looking at lowering that a bit. The engine OEM is made to rev more than torque.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts