Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Try to repeat the process. Open and close again the FOB. The battery is probably not touching enough the metal contact giving less voltage but enough to work. If this doesn't work, you can unplug the battery terminal on your vehicule for few minutes. Somebody mentionned that it worked.
That didn't really change anything. The only thing that did work besides repeatedly turning the car on and off with the engine off was to lock and unlock the car from the fob with the fob held on top of the steering column.

It does however demonstrate a false positive message for a battery failure when there is nothing wrong with the connection or the battery itself.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
That didn't really change anything. The only thing that did work besides repeatedly turning the car on and off with the engine off was to lock and unlock the car from the fob with the fob held on top of the steering column.

It does however demonstrate a false positive message for a battery failure when there is nothing wrong with the connection or the battery itself.
Did you test the battery with a multimeter ?

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Did you test the battery with a multimeter ?
No, but it was working fine before pulling the fob apart, and it is working fine now, and the false error message is gone.

I've seen others report that the error message stays on even after they changed the battery, or when they started the car with their second fob which had not had a bad battery.

I'm not taking it apart again unless it re-triggers the warning message, which at the moment it stopped erroring out.

Pulling the fob apart repeatedly did not fix the issue of the false positive for the error message.

It's unlikely that the fob battery would die after less than a year, as the only time it's energized other than when the buttons are depressed is when it's close to the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since changing the batteries in the keyfobs didn't get rid of the message, I decided to disconnect the battery yesterday. I disconnected the positive terminal for a couple of minutes and then reconnected it. The message is now gone and everything is working correctly.
After replacing the battery on my Key Fob, I also continued to get the low battery message.
Before going to the trouble of disconnecting the (+) cable on the engine battery....
I started the car with my 2nd key fob that had not required a battery change.
(Do not have the newly replaced battery key fob in the proximity of the car when doing this)

No more low battery message with either key fob after that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Once you've got the changed the battery you need to lock and unlock the car using the fob, don't just use the handle or key. That gets the car to see their is enough power in the remote now and turns off the massage

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
So I have a 2012 Titanium purchased new in May of 2012 and I'm now being told by the car the battery needs replacing -- for a second time. So, that's working out to less than 30 months per battery, I thought Ford said the batteries should last 7 years.

Brian

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
So I have a 2012 Titanium purchased new in May of 2012 and I'm now being told by the car the battery needs replacing -- for a second time. So, that's working out to less than 30 months per battery, I thought Ford said the batteries should last 7 years.

Brian
Maybe a charging problem?

Was the BMS monitor reseted when the new battery was put in?

It should be under warranty, 36 months is the base warranty for new battery.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts