Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Figured it out!

Here's how I did it, just in case anyone needs a reference on how to do it for the old style FOB. This is different from the way the owner's manual describes, but I can't do it the official way!!!

Picture of how it all begins. I also have in the picture the flathead screwdriver I used to pry the fob apart.

Take out the key and the faceplate. (Note, I don't think you actually need to do this, but it doesn't hurt)

I pried the FOB at the area shown. Just slip in your flat head screwdriver in a little bit and lever or twist the half apart. Notice that the side with the buttons is the one I pried open. Don't even try the side with the faceplate!!

Here's a close-up of how I pried it apart.

Another close up of what it looks like without the screwdriver in the way. After it got separated that much, I just used my muscle [strongman] to pry the two halves apart. (Use the flathead screw driver to help you if you lack the strength)

And a picture of what it looks like after you've separated the halves.

And another pic of the separated halves.

Hope this helps someone out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does it all clip back together or do you have to use a bit of loctite around the edges? The two round slotted lugs next to the key ring look like they clip into the two holes on the other cover. But what about the other end??

·
Registered
68 Posts
It all clips back together.

There are teeth on one half of the fob. I'm posting pics. I don't have a macro lens but I tried to get a close up of the halves as much as possible. You'll see the teeth on one of the halves of the fob and that's what I took more pictures of in this second set.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I went down to the dealership and they pried IT open the Same way that you did. They say the Manual is wrong. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks for the info - the manual was useless...

My 2012 Titanium key also started giving low battery warning today, so I bet 18-24mo is about the life.

For reference, the battery is a CR2032

·
Registered
15 Posts
Since changing the batteries in the keyfobs didn't get rid of the message, I decided to disconnect the battery yesterday. I disconnected the positive terminal for a couple of minutes and then reconnected it. The message is now gone and everything is working correctly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The low battery warning disappeared for me too without me changing the battery on the fob.

I recently updated mft on my vehicle though. Have any of you guys that got the low battery warning updated mft?

I was also thinking that it might be the cold weather. Batteries lose their capacity in cold weather and it has been pretty cold up here recently.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1 Posts
Manual not wrong

The manual is correct, its just a poor diagram of where to insert flat blade and twist, when done as it states it prizes the two halves apart enough to get a flat object in on both sides from the outside to avoid damaging the case

·
Registered
416 Posts
Excellent posts everyone and thanks for the slide-by-slide directions Primetime. I too tried the manual's way (no luck) and even took it to the dealer (less luck there). Glad to have the FF group to show the way!

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Glad this thread is developed. I got the low battery warning last night.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Does anyone know if they make the outer frame of the 5 button titanium fob in metal. I always feel like I am going to break it. The sides also give way to much and where the ring goes it is already chipping and the key is less than a month old.

The part I am talking about is this.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Thx for the great write up prime time! I used my oyster shucking skills and opened them both up. Walked into Radio Shack and before I could mention what I needed the guy said "oh, looks like someone needs the ol' 2032"

Now I am good to go!

·
Registered
60 Posts
So, I had no problems getting the key fob apart and replacing the battery (because it was really easy - I didn't even use a screwdriver, just pried it apart with my fingernail).

My problem is - I replaced the battery and now the remote doesn't work at all. Doesn't power the locks, doesn't work with the ignition, nothing.

Anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Does anyone know how to change the battery in the Titanium key fob? I can open the fob and get to the spare key but can't find a way to get to the battery. I don't need to replace it yet of course but would rather figure this out now than when jammed up at some later point.

Thanks,
Chris
Its in the owners manual

·
Registered
223 Posts
So, I had no problems getting the key fob apart and replacing the battery (because it was really easy - I didn't even use a screwdriver, just pried it apart with my fingernail).

My problem is - I replaced the battery and now the remote doesn't work at all. Doesn't power the locks, doesn't work with the ignition, nothing.

Anyone else seen this?
Its either not making contact or the battery is upside down ...or you bought a dead battery

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
What the hell? I pull a fob apart to check how the process works and then I get the stupid key fob battery low warning when the fob is still working fine. Um say what?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
What the hell? I pull a fob apart to check how the process works and then I get the stupid key fob battery low warning when the fob is still working fine. Um say what?
Try to repeat the process. Open and close again the FOB. The battery is probably not touching enough the metal contact giving less voltage but enough to work. If this doesn't work, you can unplug the battery terminal on your vehicule for few minutes. Somebody mentionned that it worked.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts