Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm not doing this, but this is a question i have. for guys with springs/shocks combo, do we ever need to change out the shocks/struts? i use the saleen kit which is really the eibach prokit plus setup. are the shocks really covered under their 1,000,000 mile warranty?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
you will need to change them eventually.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
I sent one of the rear shocks back under the warrenty a few months ago because it was blown.
I still haven't got my new one back, and I've been riding on the stock shock since.
So, yes you can get new ones under warrenty, but the process is a complete PITA.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how long do eibach shocks/struts normally last? i guess it all depends on driving conditions.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The sad part is that a shock has to completely wear out before most companies will replace it under their so called 100K mile or lifetime warranties. Most shocks will not "completely" fail. They all seem to maintain "some" dampening capability although minimal at best. This is all the company needs to deny a claim. Then they can always claim it was caused by abuse or some other silly claim which is virtually impossible for you to prove did not happen. A normal shock of reasonable quality and used under normal conditions should last 50K miles. After that they will start losing their damping capability fairly quickly. According to Bilstein (who has a lifetime warranty...go figure) a shock loses half of its dampening capability within the first half of its life. Now the big unanswered question is what is half its life. In simple terms, a shock starts to wear out pretty much the first day you install it. It wears pretty subtly and in most cases the average driver adapts to the wear and thinks nothing is wrong. Until you actually replace them is when you get the real eye opener that yes they were bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts