Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have there been any major changes (feature changes) with Microsoft Sync in the 2012 focus that differs from the 2010 Focus?

I'm strictly curious about Sync itself and not MFT. Because my 2010 Focus had Sync and will probably be getting a 2012 Focus, but want to see if there is any additional features that may have been added to the 2012 model Focus that merits consideration.

In my 2010, I really didn't use Sync that much, except for the USB port. But I never really used the services (vehicle health report, directions, 911 Assist, etc) so I may not go with it this time around -- to save money.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The changes have been relatively minor as far as I can tell. There is a little more "flatness" in the voice command structure, such as the ability to initiate a phonecall when not in "phone mode" (just say call <whoever> at any point) and the ability to say play song or play track, when before you were only able to say play track. It will also give you a candidate list when you have two songs of the same name by different artists. (old version used to just play the first alphabetically)

MFT is where all the REAL improvements came.

I don't know if mine has a problem, but it performs slowly sometimes, the chime will stutter from time to time, etc.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you feel the MFT is worth the money, though? I guess I don't care so much about Sync, because only rarely did I use a USB device. Most of the time it was CDs or I'd plug in my MP3 player via the audio input jack.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I personally wish I would have sprang for MFT, but alas, that time is passed. I think it all depends on how interested you are in voice control. MFT's biggest claim to fame outside of the huge touch screen with customizable control layouts is the vast library of voice commands, including setting the temperature, changing audio sources, tuning into AM/FM/SXM channels using frequency, number, or call letters/channel name. You also get 2 USB ports, and an SD card slot to name some features. It is a substantial upgrade over Gen1 SYNC, but currently it is buggy and has issues (of which I feel should have meant that it never got out the door, but at least it can be fixed with SW updates, and is in the process of being worked on as we speak)

Also keep in mind built in navigation sits in a slot above MFT and can only be factory installed at the moment. Secondly, if you are eyeballing a SEL trim level: the sirius radio tuner can't be installed after the fact at this time either.

Out of curiosity, why did you use your MP3 player through the line in as opposed to USB?

Since you don't seem to be that interested in SYNC itself, I don't know if MFT is worth it for you unless you are interested in the features above and the theoretical potential of the system. The reason I would at least get basic SYNC, however, is because it comes with MyFord, which gives you the nice dual 4 inch screens.

Overall your options are:
Base Spec: small monochrome info LCD screen between the gauges, standard radio
SYNC with MyFord: SYNC, + dual color 4 inch screens
MyFord Touch: Big screen and all the goodies
MyFord Touch w/ Navigation: all the above + nav

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had to use the audio jack because I had a Sandisk Sansa Clip+ and from what I was told, the USB port was really for IPhones, Ipods, etc and some other more fancy MP3 players. Last I checked, the Sansa Clip didn't work with the USB port, so I had to use an audio cable and the audio input jack near the cigarette outlets.

As for MFT, I may just get it. I mean ,I need cruise, and I was just thinking of getting the SEL (with the 300A package, which I think includes Cruise, Sync, and MFT). I don't really need the upgraded Sony stereo, although it would be nice, but I'm trying to keep costs down, but yet get things now rather than finding out after the fact.

I've learned my lesson with Ford. If you want it, it's best to get it with the car when you buy it, rather than trying to add it, because sometimes you can't, or you have to wait a year or two (like I did for getting Cruise control on my 2008 Focus three years ago). There wasn't an aftermarket fix until after about 2 years (2010) came around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ah, no, you were misinformed. Your sansa clip should work just fine. You can even use a thumb drive full of mp3's and stick that in the USB port. Really anything thats an iphone, a zune, or anything that can appear as a drive in windows can be used for SYNC USB media.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well whatever. Last time I checked was when I had my 2010 Focus with Sync two years ago, so I never really checked after that for the next 2 cars. I just assumed that the Sans wouldn't work. My first card didn't have Sync, so I just used the audio input jack.

Anyway, good to know for future reference. What I really want to do is either use a portable laptop USB hard drive or a large USB flash drive and just dump the music i Listen to onto that and leave it in the car. Too bad that Ford STILL DOESN'T have a way that you can upload music from a flash drive to internal memory in the car, so you don't have to keep using a USB drive or audio device (last I checked they didn't).

I think that would be a feature well worth putting into the mid- and high-end trim packages. I mean, you can get a 4GB SD card for like $12. So why can't they just embed one in the radio as internal storage??? I can see copyright protection, but make it so you can only copy files TO the memory and not be able to copy back to a media player. So basically you'd only be able to play the music or delete from the radio...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I personally wish I would have sprang for MFT, but alas, that time is passed. I think it all depends on how interested you are in voice control. MFT's biggest claim to fame outside of the huge touch screen with customizable control layouts is the vast library of voice commands, including setting the temperature, changing audio sources, tuning into AM/FM/SXM channels using frequency, number, or call letters/channel name. You also get 2 USB ports, and an SD card slot to name some features. It is a substantial upgrade over Gen1 SYNC, but currently it is buggy and has issues (of which I feel should have meant that it never got out the door, but at least it can be fixed with SW updates, and is in the process of being worked on as we speak)

Also keep in mind built in navigation sits in a slot above MFT and can only be factory installed at the moment. Secondly, if you are eyeballing a SEL trim level: the sirius radio tuner can't be installed after the fact at this time either.

Out of curiosity, why did you use your MP3 player through the line in as opposed to USB?

Since you don't seem to be that interested in SYNC itself, I don't know if MFT is worth it for you unless you are interested in the features above and the theoretical potential of the system. The reason I would at least get basic SYNC, however, is because it comes with MyFord, which gives you the nice dual 4 inch screens.

Overall your options are:
Base Spec: small monochrome info LCD screen between the gauges, standard radio
SYNC with MyFord: SYNC, + dual color 4 inch screens
MyFord Touch: Big screen and all the goodies
MyFord Touch w/ Navigation: all the above + nav

Can MFT be used to set other settings, such as vehicle settings (cruise control, windshield wipers, lights, etc)? Or is strictly limited to non-critical functions only (like climate control, radio, etc).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts