Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[?|]

Need some help here. I went to change the spark plugs on my '03 Focus ZX5 Zetec engine. Using the Autolite platinum gapped at .051. I start the car and it idles a little rough and the accelerator was chugging. About 2 minutes of driving gets the checke engine light to come on.

I double checked everything - plugs, gap, and tried to be sure the wires are on fully. Still have the check engine light on.

I then pull the Autolites out and replace the old plugs back in. The check engine light went off. The car is still idling rough - at about 700-800 RPM as well. If I drive the car for more than 5 minutes - the check engine light starts blinking off and on.

So my questions are these:

1) Could the othe plugs have damaged something?

2) Do the factor plug wires have some trick to them? Do they really go down further that it may be appearing to me?

3) Should I just take it back to the dealer?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wait....maybe I should clarify further -

I assumed you meant touch the tips with my fingers - which I did not. However, I did use a gap tool on one of the factory plugs.

I think it is probably something in the wiring but I am afraid that I may have screwed something royally with the Autolite plugs.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I really don't understand WHY you would want to change the spark plugs on a BRAND NEW car, being as the Focus comes with platinum plugs from the factory...

It would have nothing to do with the Autolite platinums, unless you screwed up the plug AFTER you bought it. Autolites are made for Fords, and are about as close as you can get to the Motorcraft plug. I would suggest rechecking the plug wires to make sure they are seated firmly on the plug, and that you didn't rearrange the firing order, or possibly drop something into the spark plug hole. There just aren't that many ways to screw up changing your spark plugs.

IMHO, if you aren't confident enough to change your own spark plugs, then maybe you should leave it to someone who definately knows what they are doing.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Did you put the wires back on in the correct order?
I know, seems like a no brainer but I thought that I'd ask.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Take the car to the dealer and let them fix it.

Everytime someone tells me about how they are gonna install this or fix that I laugh, this is one of the reasons why.

Someone replacing plugs on a brand new car and now it will not run properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts