Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed my alternator and now my focus won't start. turns over there is fuel up to the injectors but spark plugs are dry and I am not getting any spark took the computer out and sent it off to get tested and all the fusses are good

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat

Welcome to FF!

'07 would be a duratec, prob. a 2.0 since he didn't mention it being an ST.

Not that you can do anything now without an ECU, you picked the most unlikely part to send out for a check.

How did you test for spark?

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
We coulda told you that..............they hardly ever go bad, but strongly suspected by those who don't know how to fix cars. It's the black magic there, I don't understand it, so it must be bad.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The old fashion way held the plug to a ground and turned the engine over
Use a jumper cable? There aren't good ground spots in reach of the plugs & some have THOUGHT they were holding it to a good one when they weren't.

Ground wire at the RF capacitor (cam chain end of valve cover) is easily damaged, blows fuse/no spark when damaged.

Crank sensor is at the pulley end on these, shouldn't be touched when doing an Alt. but it's close.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know for sure that I am not getting any spark and fuel checked RF capacitor and it looks fine put car in neutral to move it and it won't move

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm assuming that it's an automatic trans?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I think that the roter and the pads are rusty that is why it won't move just wish I could get it to start checked a lot of things and still no spark or fuel but it will turn over

·
Registered
519 Posts
And it ran fine before you changed the alternator? More than likely it is something simple, I'd go back over everything you did and make sure everything is plugged in and nothing is damaged. It's odd that your not getting spark AND fuel. I'm sure you probably don't have a scope capable of reading injector pulse or the crank signal. I'd have to look at a wiring diagram, but I'm betting something isn't connected or damaged

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And yes the car ran fine when I parked it the altinator went out so I jumped it to get it home

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,589 Posts
Suggestion...unplug the 3-wire connector on the ignition coil and see if it has 12V on the center terminal with the key on.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That's one plus. Power to all 4 I assume.

FocusKnot - this one should be a duratec, so four to check.

Deleted PATS comment, posted in the wrong thread so this is cleaned up now to avoid confusion reading it.

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
You were freaking me out there bud.............LOL

I've heard nothing here about the battery being charged FULLY back up, jumping does not do that.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You not bad with 4 or 5 alt threads at once, I stuck a PATS comment in here that fit a different thread & had to clean it up.

CFunk - Try charging that battery a bit more, should have 12.63 V for fully charged.

Have you had any luck finding the crank sensor/wiring we talked about in PM's?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts