Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my alternator, took it to get it tested and it failed. I got a replacement and installed it, however the car almost sounds as though it's doing the same thing. There's an attempt to start then a whirring sound is the best way I can describe it. I assumed with me trying to start it constantly with a bad alternator that my starter went bad also, but I might get one start in my current issue after the alternator replacement.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Double check for a charged & good condition battery & cables/connections before guessing at a starter problem. (battery could use testing after a charge)

Low output from the battery or poor conduction through it's cables/connections can cause a starter to act bad when it's still OK.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
The battery starts the car, alt has nothing to do with that. You kill battery with bad alt then you must charge battery back up. Thinking you do that with the new alt is the quickest way I know of to kill your new alt too. So many do it..........why I often sold not one but two alts to most people. They just don't get it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is an update to the original issue. Turns out my timing belt went right about the same time as the alternator. When i changed it, i guess the starting with the new alt finished the job of ripping the belt apart. Thanks for the replies after my initial post and hopefully it can help someone in the future. Cars are somethin else !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts