Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at 15,000 i put mobile 1 in my car. soon its coming up on 18,000, i was just wondering what you guys would recomend. should i change it at 3000 miles or wait for 5000?

thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I've been running the Amsoil 7500 (5W-20) and changing every 5k...

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
I do my oil changes every 3000 miles and I use the Castrol syntec synthetic... just seems safer to me.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
i do 5K. its really easy to keep track of. and of course i use Royal Purple 5w30. i do 60 miles highway a day. so IMO 5K is safe for me. and i also think that 3K would just be wasting the purple stuff. different driving habits and conditions should influence your decision. hard in the city, or easy on the highway. which are you?

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
95% of my driving is street and I sometimes drive pretty hard.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
then i would go 3K miles. good choice of oil...i used to run Mobil1, but now its nothing but Royal Purple. too bad it is double the price of Mobil1. and i can assure the HP gain[thumb]

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Yeah, should have mentioned that I'm 95% highway or backroads. 8 traffic lights in the 17 miles I drive to work.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea, i guess most of my mileage is highway. this is the first time i've put the oil in the car though, ford did it up to 15k. so i was thinking that maybe it would be better for the first synthetic change after 3k the first time, and then 5k every other time. if that made sense.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I run Mobil 1, ever 5k.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh yea, and random side question...........if i switched to royal purple now, would i notice a difference over the mobile?

·
Registered
176 Posts
five-speed2.3 said:
oh yea, and random side question...........if i switched to royal purple now, would i notice a difference over the mobile?
Their site claims anywhere from 1-3% hp gains and similar fuel economy gains and quite a few of the members here agree. I'm considering ordering some for my next change. I've always used Motorcraft 5w-20 but I get free oil changes so it's Motorcraft or pay for it myself.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Mobil1 5W-20, Regular filter, 5K

·
Registered
279 Posts
I use mobil-1 synthetic 5w-20, and I change every 5k-7k. I drive about 750 miles a week, almost all highway, so I feel safe doing this.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
I've used the MC and that Mobil Clean 5000 (I think that's its name) 5w20 so far.

Oil gets changed eveyr 5k religiously, I don't drive it real hard and probably 80% of my driving is highway cruise conditions. I may go synthetic at some point, but then I have to decide which one, and have money to pay extra for the oil (lacking as of now)!

·
puddins betch
0 Posts
3K if your in town most of the time and 5K if it is all interstate i do 3K all interatate oil is cheap where a motor is a rich mans replacement item

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
on a side note, how often for the oil filter...
I tend to do mine with every oil change.

i hear it's good to change the oil filter twice as often as your oil... since syn. oil lasts so much longer now a days.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts