Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed the front tires only on the Nissan. The backs getting too much trouble with flats, 3 plugs in one and 4 in the other. I change tires in pairs only and the new go on front and fronts go on back. This car has well over 100K miles on it and was beginning to show like the toe was messed up, car too flighty staying in the lane and even more in wind. Like on the other 20 times or so I've done this the tire change alone is like a complete front end rebuild, the car now goes dead straight even letting go of the wheel and even in a 30 mph cross wind. If somebody was to re-align the car they would be absolutely messing it up, it drives now like it was new.

I keep saying most of the aligns out there are for no reason, the cars unless people are banging them off walls will hold alignments practically forever.

Of course, if you are up in big snow and ice you will not be able to do that, the rear end gets out of shape faster when the tires get worn back there, but here in Texas no way. I haven't bought all 4 tires at one time in over 40 years, it's burning money.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If the tie rod jam nut works loose the alignment could go bad.

Today I got 4 tires. My dealer only charges $8 to rotate. And the tire price was good. My 4 may outlast your 2 + 2. Too much trouble for me. Time is money too.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I don't do what he does because I'm very performance-oriented so I buy more expensive tires and I always do a set. I also destroy tires. I rotate my tires every time I do an oil change. One of the vehicles I own now though has a staggered wheel setup so no more rotation on that vehicle. I will be honest I'm too much of a snob to have mismatched tires.

Now with that said changing tires in pairs on a front-wheel drive vehicle will absolutely last longer than changing four tires at one time. The rear tires on a front-wheel drive vehicle will damn near last forever. Of course this depends on the road conditions/road hazards etc.

So I don't disagree with what he's doing it works for him. I've seen it done and I've seen rear tires on a front wheel drive car go 100,000 MI and not be bald not even close.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
changing tires in pairs on a front-wheel drive vehicle will absolutely last longer than changing four tires at one time
Maybe not because you use 6 tires in the mix to make it work. It would take a scientific study and cost analysis to know for sure. And who would do that. Maybe the OP, IDK.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I get well within manufacture "warranty" spec per my tire purchases and kept them aligned and rotated every oil change. Their tread depths even match one another.

YMMV with rotations though. Some people see no benefits, some see a lot of benefits.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
That's impressive but you don't drive like me I can destroy a set of tires in 15,000 miles easy.
If I go 25,000 miles I'm doing great.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
579 Posts
That's impressive but you don't drive like me I can destroy a set of tires in 15,000 miles easy.
If I go 25,000 miles that's just plain absurd for me.
Different driving styles. Buying $1200 sets of tires per year on my previous car got old fast. My purpose for the focus and the tires on it is for longevity; it's not uncommon for me to change out tires every one or two years because of the amount of driving I do now.

·
Registered
16,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I NEVER rotate any longer, and why I discovered the problem the rears will have of getting out of round over time. When you rotate a lot of that wears back somewhat even when they go on the front, but it is one reason why handling issues show up quicker up front. I used to rotate many years back and noticed rears never wore out and I got and still get so many miles I can't keep up with it. Since retiring from work I've now dropped back to 40K tires as they die from being too old, suncracked or the flats get me before the 55K limits. They hardly ever just wear out any more. You wouldn't believe the flats I've had and why I had to learn myself to plug them as waiting endless hours to get tires fixed under road hazard was a pain. I've had well over 200 flats in the last 30 years, I had over 40 the first year I moved to Fort Worth. I've had tires with 6 plugs in them, the tire guys are amazed at it.

This set of rears was just beginning to make the typical oscillation noise they make when they get really out of round, I would have gone on them a year longer but one plug finally tore wider to not seal and the other had several in it and I gave that pair up somewhat early. One reason why I don't rotate is because most flats happen on the backs and if you have to toss a tire over it, it's better to be a well used one. That alone has saved me a bundle now.

What I do is eccentric but it works to make money for me. I didn't balance or road hazard these last two tires either. I simply reuse the same OEM balance weights opposite the tire sensors and the car feels perfectly fine at 80 mph.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts