Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car had the oil changed ~1k miles ago. But the past three days, I've had the "change engine oil" alert pop up on my dash when the vehicle is first started. What actually triggers this message? Does it monitor oil debris or something like that? Or is it just time? And maybe the oil change guy didn't reset it (the friggin Ford dealership)?

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
The car had the oil changed ~1k miles ago. But the past three days, I've had the "change engine oil" alert pop up on my dash when the vehicle is first started. What actually triggers this message? Does it monitor oil debris or something like that? Or is it just time? And maybe the oil change guy didn't reset it (the friggin Ford dealership)?
They failed to reset it. You can do it yourself:

Resetting the oil life monitoring system

1. Turn the ignition key to the on position. Do not start the engine.
For vehicles with push-button start, press and hold the START/STOP
button for two seconds without pressing the brake pedal. Do not attempt
to start the engine.
2. Press both the accelerator and brake pedals at the same time.
3. Keep both pedals fully pressed.
4. After three seconds, the Service: Oil reset in prog. message will be
displayed.
5. After 25 seconds, the Service: Oil reset complete message will be
displayed.
6. Release both the accelerator and brake pedals.
7. The Service: Oil reset complete message will no longer be
displayed.
8. Rotate the key to the off position.
For vehicles with push-button start, press the START/STOP button to
turn the vehicle off completely.

But curious, what actually triggers this message? Is it just time? Or is there any oil life monitoring at all?
It is triggered by an algorithm based on your driving habits. The oil is not physically sampled.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reset procedure. Man, they really spell this out for dummies. lol

But curious, what actually triggers this message? Is it just time? Or is there any oil life monitoring at all?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Thanks for the reset procedure. Man, they really spell this out for dummies. lol

It's a guess per software. I imagine there is an accumulator where certain driving conditions add points to the accumulator. Some driving conditions more than others obviously. For example, in my case driving less than a mile to work (yes, I know, I should walk) after a cold engine start up probably adds many points to the accumulator. With fully warmed up driving say, steady state 60mph probably adds very few points to the accumulator.

Once the accumulator hits a pre-defined number of points (threshold), the oil warning should display.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ford calls it the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor. Unfortunately, the only time you get to interact with it is when it tells you to change your oil.

https://owner.ford.com/Storage/CommonImages/images/IOLM FAQ.pdf

Based on this, it sounds like it also takes into account idling, ambient temperatures, and engine temperatures.

Looks like a nice Ford Publication to present when asking the dealer why they are contradicting Ford's recommendation.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. Thanks for the link gatzdon.

This pretty much sums it up.
The Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor does not use oil quality sensors – it is entirely software-based. As a result, the system requires you to reset it after an oil change, to indicate to the PCM that an oil change has occurred. Missing a “reset” at an oil change will result in a premature OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
The car had the oil changed ~1k miles ago.
Somebody has forgotten to reset it... no big deal!

BUT this is a common dealer procedure... i'll double check if they really changed the oil.

Yes, i'm the type of guy who marks my car oil filter and drain plug to see if they touched it haha!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts