Focus Fanatics Forum banner

cfm tubular control arms install

9K views 33 replies 7 participants last post by  felixthecat 
#1 ·
I just received a set, and I'm not sure how the ball joint goes together?

#5 ·
Vise? No no no!

What are you having an issue with? Screwing the heim joint into the arm or re-assembling the lock pin & pinch bolt?

For reference, this is how they looked when I installed :

If you're having trouble screwing the heim joint into the arm, take the joint out completely and look at the threads in the arm. You don't want these cross threaded, it would be a very expensive mistake.

I found that initially assembling the arms, I had problems screwing the heim joint into the arm. After inspecting the threads, it appeared to be that when CFM had the arms powder coated, they didn't close off the opening to the threads and a lot of gunk got in there. I cleaned it out as much as I could with a dremel + wire brush and some old gun cleaning gear I had laying around. Not many issues after that.

#7 ·
Just to add, what I did was replace the nylock w/ 2 jam nuts (easier to pull a part if you need to)& I have 4.5 threads showing vs the 3 threads like they say. And for sure get the boots too.

#13 ·
I luckily I have an alignment machine at my school. I need to press out sleeve on the old control arms and transfer the hub bearing to the new knuckles. This is going to be a big change since I'm putting the svt brakes on the front and st rear.

#14 ·
Replace the nylocks w/ 2 jam nuts & have 4.5 threads showing.
Thats great that you have access to a alignment rack. Set the rear toe first then the front. Set the rear at .010 per side & then the front at zero toe w/ the steering wheel straight. Your in school? what? 4.5 turns out for me gets 2 degrees negative camber.

#16 ·
Yes. ^^^ As far as a easy rear toe adjustment, get a set of rear toe links. They make it easier. You probably found toe out on the front will help a lot.

#20 ·
The arms should have come with a bushing and a new inner sleeve.

The outer sleeve is needed, but nothing else (unless you are reusing original nuts/bolts)

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

#23 ·
The bushing goes between the arm & the shell housing which bolts up to the sub frame cradle w/ 2 bolts per side. Grab the stock arm & pull arm out of the bushing/sleeve combo & then press out the rubber bushing out of the shell. I found it easier to install the bushing w/ a press into the shell & then the leg of the arm goes into that.

#25 ·
Yup, as that bolts up to the cradle for the rear leg of the arm. Looking at the arm= the rear leg of the arm gets bolted up to the cradle w/ the sleeve & the poly bushing goes between the arm/leg & sleeve.

#28 ·
The sleeve or the housing/bracket for the rear of the control arm. For that the bushing fits over the leg of the control arm & the housing/bracket fits over the bushing & gets bolted down w/ two nuts & bolts. I use the box end of the wrench to hold the nuts & rattle the bolts on. I beleive the torque is 80lbs for the 2 rear bolts & the front bolt, that goes to the front part of the control arm.

#29 ·
Not sure why but every shop couldn't get the bushings in. I'm not sure if the 05 and up use a different size bushing. It took some thinking, I decided to cut one line all the way down the sleeve. This gave me a gap to put a screw driver in and spread the sleeve. With some grease I was able to push it in by hand. It worked out perfectly, its not going to come back out with out a press. Since the bracket clamps the sleeve into place it should close the gap

#30 ·
anyone have a PDF copy of the instructions? I never got them, my arms came second hand! #[sadpanda]

#32 ·
A heim joint is not a ball joint.....Just order a pr from CFM or whoever sells QA-1's....Also get a pr of boots too...Kinda weird that you need to replace one. They are offered in 2 & 3 piece btw. Jump on QA-1's site & read about them to give you a idea.......I've had mine for yrs & yrs w/ no issues at all...

#33 ·
I have the boots on them, and they have only been on the car for just over a year?!?
— I def know what heim joints are, as I have used them for years on my Subaru’s.—
After looking at it last night one definitely went/is going bad, and that side makes a terrible intermittent creek when turning slow. . . Thought it was the strut at first but they are new too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.