Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Jetsetter
6,648 Posts
The helm joint screws into the arm. the pinch bolt attaches to the hub where the original ball join attached then the 2 just go into each other. Its all in the directions..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Vise? No no no!

What are you having an issue with? Screwing the heim joint into the arm or re-assembling the lock pin & pinch bolt?

For reference, this is how they looked when I installed :

If you're having trouble screwing the heim joint into the arm, take the joint out completely and look at the threads in the arm. You don't want these cross threaded, it would be a very expensive mistake.

I found that initially assembling the arms, I had problems screwing the heim joint into the arm. After inspecting the threads, it appeared to be that when CFM had the arms powder coated, they didn't close off the opening to the threads and a lot of gunk got in there. I cleaned it out as much as I could with a dremel + wire brush and some old gun cleaning gear I had laying around. Not many issues after that.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Screwing the Heim joint in, I did notice it was dirty and blew it out. I'll try using the wire brush. Thanks for the photo this definitely helps with reassurance.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
Screwing the Heim joint in, I did notice it was dirty and blew it out. I'll try using the wire brush. Thanks for the photo this definitely helps with reassurance.
Just to add, what I did was replace the nylock w/ 2 jam nuts (easier to pull a part if you need to)& I have 4.5 threads showing vs the 3 threads like they say. And for sure get the boots too.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cleaned up the control arms where the joint screws in. I took me an hour to clean the treads on one control arm. There was alot of powder caked up on the inside. Goes together smooth now.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
I cleaned up the control arms where the joint screws in. I took me an hour to clean the treads on one control arm. There was alot of powder caked up on the inside. Goes together smooth now.
Thats great, you got it going, I've never had issues w/ these arms. I've installed 3 sets before. Hey Skypilot, Whats your camber at?

·
Jetsetter
6,648 Posts
Thats great, you got it going, I've never had issues w/ these arms. I've installed 3 sets before. Hey Skypilot, Whats your camber at?
I honestly dont remember off the top of my head. I bought the arms to get a proper alignment not for performance. the Camber is around 0 or very slightly negative. Either way my tires have a nice and even wear now.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I luckily I have an alignment machine at my school. I need to press out sleeve on the old control arms and transfer the hub bearing to the new knuckles. This is going to be a big change since I'm putting the svt brakes on the front and st rear.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
I luckily I have an alignment machine at my school. I need to press out sleeve on the old control arms and transfer the hub bearing to the new knuckles. This is going to be a big change since I'm putting the svt brakes on the front and st rear.
Replace the nylocks w/ 2 jam nuts & have 4.5 threads showing.
Thats great that you have access to a alignment rack. Set the rear toe first then the front. Set the rear at .010 per side & then the front at zero toe w/ the steering wheel straight. Your in school? what? 4.5 turns out for me gets 2 degrees negative camber.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
There's a factory rear toe adjustment? The hatch is being built for autox. I probably play of the alignment each time I go to the track.
Yes. ^^^ As far as a easy rear toe adjustment, get a set of rear toe links. They make it easier. You probably found toe out on the front will help a lot.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts