Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While doing some other work I noticed the vf engineering dogbone had some bushing damage and decided to upgrade to the CFM dogbone with race bushings.

Driving wise the car shifted pretty rough at higher rpm's. Kinda shifted like having the oem piece in with that heavy clunk.

Side by side pics. And I know they are assbackwards but a difference can still be seen.

And before and after on the car.

Just wanted to provide a little input with pictures to anyone about to purchase a lower trans mount. Overall, firmer shifting. Great quality piece. Feels very solid. Only small complaint is that the CFM piece was supposed to have a logo to orientate the install, but after talking to William at CFM as long as the larger bushing is on the crossmember install is fine.

·
Registered
151 Posts
How much use/miles was put on the VF Engineering one?

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe a little over 60,000. I'd have to check my receipts and cross reference oil changes to pinpoint. Year wise about 5-6 years ago I installed it. I definitely beat on this car so i don't know if I can really blame it on the vf failing. Car is parked outside, city driven and has seen about a dozen trackdays.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
why is their so much initial mis-alignment in the original photo? Looks like you may have another defective engine mount, one of the upper ones. the lower mount cannot be responsible for aligning the motor laterally in the engine bay, its can only be used to aid in torque reaction.

·
I Nom Cones
2,599 Posts
the cfm should settle down considerably in a week or two... but i love mine, you made me curious, im going to see how mine looks after... at least 10,000 miles....

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why is their so much initial mis-alignment in the original photo? Looks like you may have another defective engine mount, one of the upper ones. the lower mount cannot be responsible for aligning the motor laterally in the engine bay, its can only be used to aid in torque reaction.
Yeah the passenger vf mount was on the way out for a while. The bottom bushing was so fatigued that it created a gap between the bracket and the top bushing. I posted a thread a while ago when the top gap was about 1mm, asking if it looked normal and others stated it looked how theirs did. At the time I didn't realize it was failing but kept an eye on it as it didn't look right. Finally replaced the bushings when the gap grew considerable.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
My point is this thread reads like the VF mounts are poor, when in fact is appears that the misalignment is what has caused the mount to fail. The condition that has lead to the failure of the VF will surely affect the CFM mount as well. The CMF mount may be a higher quality mount; however, the VF mount should not have failed in this manner and the bushing failure seems more related to alignment than quality.

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I guess if you really want to point a finger it would be at the passenger vf mount lower bushing which I stated a few posts up and the problem has been corrected. Maybe you read a little too much into it but the threads intention is to really compare the difference between the vf and cfm lower mounts. When I searched for a comparison I didn't see any and wanted to provide others with info if in the market for trans mount.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts