Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the infamous leak in my thermostat housing. Has anyone used the CFM housing? Is it any different than the Motorcraft? And is there any advantage in replacing the thermostat with a 180 degree?

·
Registered
133 Posts
thermo housing

hey there. I replaced my housing earlier this summer with a motorcraft one from my local parts store. i thought it was leaking from in between the housing and the head, but found out afterward it was from the sensor plug on the bottom. check that first before you pull it off for nothing. later.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If its the plug on the bottom I may still have some of the o-rings for it. Hit me up and I'll go check.

·
Registered
209 Posts
You might want to check the T-stat gasket also. Mine sprung a pretty good leak that was fixed with a simple o-ring.

·
Registered
93 Posts
is there any difference in going with the 180F thermostat over the stock temp? i've already replaced my plug o-ring and its still leaking, looks like from the housing now. i'm just not sure which temperature of thermostat i should get on the CFM website

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
You won't notice a difference with the 180degree thermo unless you get a tune were the fans turn on early.

·
Registered
93 Posts
ok cool. what is the actual difference though? i'm planning to get the SCT Xcalibrator 3 tuner in the future. would the 180thermo be a benefit? i'm just curious what the actual difference is from the OEM 197F thermo

·
Registered
93 Posts
oh ok. cool, thanks macdiesel

·
Registered
90 Posts
Is the sensor plug you speak of, that little nipple looking thing towards the bottom of the housing if your looking up towards the engine from the ground? I have the same leak aswell.

·
Registered
93 Posts
yep thats the one. i replaced the o-ring inside mine and the thing and its still leaking. there's fluid all over the place so i can't really tell where its coming from. this "revised thermostat housing" says it comes with everything needed to be changed out. i just bought it tonight and it should be shipping out in the morning.

http://focus.c-f-m.com/NEWITEMFordthermostatHousingforFordFocsSVT02-04-2.aspx

·
Registered
151 Posts
Is this what you are referring to?

twitpic.com/8m50pp
twitpic.com/8m50po

Is it an easy fix that I can do on my own? If so, does anyone have a walk-through on how to go about fixing it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
thats the one. search through these forums, ive found a walk-through before somewhere

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks. Just purchased a pack of o-rings to get this fixed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
http://focus.c-f-m.com/NEWITEMFordthermostatHousingforFordFocsSVT02-04-2.aspx

this is the link for the revised thermostat housing for the SVT focus. the plug that many of us seem to continue having problems with leaking has been completely removed. the hole where it goes has been filled in and sealed. upon looking at this housing just after unboxing it, i would highly recommend it. ive already replaced my o-ring twice so i've got a good feeling this will be $160 well spent. i will be having it installed this weekend along with a coolant drain and flush. ill be sure to let everyone know how it goes.

if anyone can tell me how to upload an image ill upload the pics of the housing just after i opened it from the mail.

thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
just got the new CFM thermostat housing installed. looks like the o-ring between the engine block and the old thermostat was bad, not sure about the o-ring i'd replaced in the plug. i've got pics if anyone can tell me how to upload them to this site.

i'd highly recommend the revised t-stat housing from CFM. i looks like a much better design.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,214 Posts
The CFM revised housing is a late '98-'00 Contour housing and ECT sensor. The thermostat is the same as the Focus. I got my housing from Steve at Tousley Ford.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I bought a thermostat housing fir my svt and it doesn't have the silver plug as mentioned but there is no hole to put the sensor in. Can anyone explain that?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Question about the o-ring for the sensor plug in the t-stat housing?

Any1 have a (this will sound funny) part number for the o-ring?

Or just walk in to the local auto parts store and tell them what im looking for?

Also,

Any1 find the write up and the "how to" for replacing said o-ring? i tried looking for a little, but currently dedicating most of my time to school. (l0l)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts