Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the aftermarket oil pump offered by CFM? I just autocrossed for the first time and my car seen a little too much redline for comfort. All I could think about was that oil pump failing, happened to me once already. Just wondering if this would be a good mod to the car, just to get rid of that chance of it going out.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Just curious, is the oil pump driven by the timing belt or one of the cams?

H

·
0 Posts
I believe it is on a cog with the timing belt...

How do you go about synchronizing this w/ the VCT?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
the oil pump is driven directly by the crankshaft. if you look at the crank, you'll see two flats opposite eachother on the crank snout. this fits right into the oil pump. the VCT isn't too hard to time when doing a timing belt, but it does require that you follow the procedure in the workshop manual exactly

·
Registered
367 Posts
I haven't heard of a stock motor letting go, other than the 3->2 money shifts. Pretty sure the oil pump is only needed if you plan on going for really high rpm's, 7,500 or above.

I have about 5k miles on my motor in the 5,000 to 7,200 rpm range with no problems. 92k total miles now.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought that too, but I blew out an oil pump at only about 6800 rpm with 2400 miles on my car. Got a new engine out of the deal though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts