Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed some cfm tubular control arms a few years ago and recently had one snap on the arm that slides into the big bushing.
Ordered new ones and trying to install and am hanging some issues that I ran into last time, that could possibly be why it broke.

So once the arm is bolted at the rear it's nearly impossible to slide the heim joint onto the stud on the knuckle.
The stud is angled towards the wheel and there's no way to gently slide the joint onto the stud as the instructions say.
Back when I installed first set I remember having same problem. The only way we got them on was to have one person use all their body strength to push the bottom of the knuckle/rotor assembly with their feet while a second person slid it on, still requiring quite a bit if work. Then had same problem when getting alignment. Basically its a two person full strength job to get these arms on to the stud.

I feel like this isn't right and the tension may have been what led to it breaking.

Does this seem normal to anyone else? Or what the heck am I doing wrong?
I've tried jacking up the knuckle and even loosening the strut from the tower. Both those options make it worse.

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be easy to install and easy to adjust when doing alignment. But can't figure out why the angles are so off.

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,227 Posts
Have you tried loosely installing the rear bolts and leaving the front out? Get the joint in and then push the front of the control arm in and push the bolt in. That always works for me on regular focus arms.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Are the mounts square or is the cradle tweaked? Is this on one side only? What were the alignment spec's before? Is the cradle even side to side? I never had that issue at all & I've had my A-arms for over 10+ yrs w/ no issues.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure if cradle is square. It has been off before though. But even if I adjusted the cradle any I don't think I'd get enough movement to make a difference.
And the problem is on both sides. I'm essentially limited by the axleshafts, as far as being able to push it back any.

I did however get them on yesterday, drivers side I took the strut out and then put control arm on and put strut back.
The passenger side I didn't have the pin in the knuckle yet so I slid the joint over the pin first and then was able to wiggle and tap the pin in without messing with the strut.

My only concern though us that they need to come back off most likely during alignment and possible twice depending if we can get it where I want it on first try.
I will most likely take it back off by pulling the whole pin from the knuckle though.
But I'm still worried they might break again (if this was the reason it broke)

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Before I installed them, I turned the heim joints out w/ 3.5 threads showing vs 1 or 1.5 turns as the instructions mentioned + I replaced the nylock w/ a couple jam nuts. To get the boots on, I put them in a cup of water & heated them up in the microwave, same as the CFM toe-links. Camber is what I wanted & works great for cornering.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts