Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody have one of these yet? just wondering if they're any good and if there's any side affects to having an alternator that produces more amps(prob. not)? they also say it has 75 amps at idle...what does the stock one produce? bottom line, i need a new alternator and i'm just wondering if these are worth it.

thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
First off what is a CFM Alternator, is CFM a brand name??

Secondly, the stock Alternator makes about 70 Amps at Load.. (Engine Revving around 3200-3800 RPM)

Having an alternator that produces 75 at idle, I suppose your lights might get brighter, your car may have better acceleration if you had more amperage. And the stereo may sound a little louder.. The only problem would be if the alternator produced more then 13.8-14.3 VDC. IF you have a bigger alternator, and it puts out more voltage then the stock one, your in deep trouble...

On an old 66 Plymouth, you toss in a bigger alternator and you get a hotter spark, and brighter headlights..

Our Foci...... YOU GET A $20,000 PAPER WEIGHT!!! You will fry your computer!!

In Short, if the thing makes the same voltage, but more amps.... GO FOR IT... If your not sure about the Volts, then ask the manufacturer!!

[thumb] [thumb]

·
Registered
281 Posts
Don't all alternators make the same voltage for normal cars?

You could go with a PA Performance alternator. It's 145 amps max and I forgot how much at idle. You can check them out and give them a call. Real nice guys.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CFM stands for Central Florida Motorsports, they are just a company that sells the part. i actually think the alternator is from pa performance. 140 amp 6g alternator.

the website is c-f-m.com, after you're in the focus section look under the electrical to find it, if you want to check it out.

thanks guys.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
very well worth it, specially the 140 your looking into...the 110 we have is fords bottom of the barrel, if my memory serves me, i think at idle its 55 for the stock alt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts