Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody else's key fob get lazy in this colder weather,or do I need to get a new key,I've already had a new battery fitted in the key, sometimes I have to put the key into the lock to unlock,other times it works from a distance....

·
Super Moderator
9,563 Posts
Moved to "General Technical Chat". I don't have any problems with any of my fobs. Even when it's really cold out.

·
Registered
17,445 Posts
Common for the battery contacts to break at the solder joint and then they work/don't work.

When people came in the parts store looking to change the batteries in remotes, half the time the contacts were broken and why we quit changing the batteries for them, they would routinely then claim we had broken the remote when it was already broke. Same thing when changing headlight bulbs, if something broken there. One woman claimed I broke hers when all I did was look under the hood, it was clear from the dangling parts that things were broken and I politely refused to try to fix the headlight. She then retaliated by calling the district manager and ranting I had broken it. Nice.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Ah, the UK version has the remote embedded in the key. Our NA ones have a separate remote...easier to resolder connections on a bigger part.
But it's probably still doable, and definitely way cheaper than replacing the whole key unit. If you're not good with the soldering iron, try a shop that repairs electronics.
Or say sod it and just get a new one, and then you'll have another spare ignition key too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts