Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have a birthday coming up in a couple of weeks and I figured I treat myself to a new set of wheels. I'm going to get the Centerline excels, but I don't know which tires to go with. What are the tire dimensions I need for these 17 inch rims? Also, since these wheels are hella light, I don't want the tires to be heavy. I no nothing of tires, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
How do you drive (be honest) and what will they be "primarily" used for....commuting, autocross, interstates, etc. Will these be the primary tire or do you plan on using snow tires as well?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
nantaism said:
Well, I have a birthday coming up in a couple of weeks and I figured I treat myself to a new set of wheels. I'm going to get the Centerline excels, but I don't know which tires to go with. What are the tire dimensions I need for these 17 inch rims? Also, since these wheels are hella light, I don't want the tires to be heavy. I no nothing of tires, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I thought Hella only made lights?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I meant "very light" by hella, sorry about that. I'm primarily gonna use the wheels for normal driving (comuting) and for more show appeal. But I am going to put my stock wheels back on when winter rolls around, so the tires on the new wheels don't need to be all-time seasonal.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I just bought a pair of BF Goodrich T/A Sports and I am more than happy. Only about 100 bucks a piece installed. I have run them hard to 130 and tight around the corenrs for about 2k now. I think they are great.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Yokohama Avid V4Ss. About $72 a piece from Tire Rack, great summer grip and good all-year grip too.

·
Registered
373 Posts
that 72 is before install. they're probably about 100 installed + shipping. unfortunatley anthing sticky is gonna be heavy. i have bfg kdw2's and they stick like nobodys buisiness. but they are a lot heavier than my old toyo proxies fz4. the toyo's did better on the drag strip but if a quarter of a second in a straight line doesn't matter to you on the street then get something grippy. bfg's are heavy. i personally will be going to yokohama paradas after i run through my g-forces. i've been working at Americas Tire for 2 years now so i've almost seen it all (i've never had a tire blow up in my face while i'm filling it to fit a rim so thats why i say almost).

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
nantaism said:
Michelin Pilots or Yokohama AVS ES100 are both very good.

205/45/17 is the ideal tire size for 17" rims.

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
Kumho 711. Best bang for the buck tire on the market.

·
Registered
373 Posts
i hate kumho's. if i were only spending 90 a tire for 17's i would get g-force sports.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Based on your use I'd suggest looking at some high performance all season tires. These will work well especially in rain. Summer tires can be downright scary when it gets wet especially in panic stop mode on a busy commute. Check out Discount Tire, Tire rack, and Vulcan Tire. Tire Rack has a great tire comparison section (road tests) and user reviews on their site. We've been very happy with our Kumho 711's as well. Its a very nice tire for the price.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Nice bday present. VR Traction TA's or the Yokohama AVID V4s are great everyday tires if you're gonna run them in the winter.

·
Registered
134 Posts
well being at a tire shop for 2 years isnt even close too seeing it all , ive been at a tire shop for 9 years and i havnt even seen it all , anyways ..... if you're looking for all season performance check out the falken ze 512's .

·
Registered
524 Posts
I got some Goodyear Eagle GS-D3s for my SVTF. They are very highly rated, and if you are in the market for some non-all-season (but excellent in the rain) high-performance tires, they fill the bill. Not too heavy, and they will complement the Centerlines and take advantage of their light weight.

One of the things that decided me was that a couple of years ago, EVO, this great Brit car mag, did a tire test. The GS-D3s came out on top. Interestingly, the car they tested all the tires on was a Focus ST170 (pretty much identical to the SVT). I definitely read the tests at the Tire Rack, but they usually test tires on a 3-series BMW with the sport package, which is a RWD car with pretty much 50/50 weight distribution - not everything they find in these tests is going to be applicable to our FWD, 62/38 weight distribution cars, so the EVO test was especially interesting to me.

The Goodyears are $133 a pop now in 215/45-17. They had a $60 rebate for a set of 4 when I bought them a couple of months ago, so they were like $118 each.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts