Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2003 ZX3 hatchback.
For the past week and a half, there was an annoying rattling whenever I would accelerate or decelerate.

Imagine single tic tac left in the can, and accelerating/decelerating tilts the can.

So I discovered it was the bulb in the top center of the hatch back (the red strip). I can't get into it without a special screwdriver it seems... Torx? Does anyone know what size?

I assume the bulb just rattled out of position (I shined a flashlight into the assembly and was able to see the bulb laying on it's side, not in it's socket). But I may need a new bulb, and possibly an assembly...

Is there an easy way (without a Torx driver) to get into the assembly?
Do I have to worry about any problems with the windshield sprayer at all?

Thanks.
At least I can stop killing myself over trying to find out what the noise is.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Out Focii use a lot of torx screws. You're probably best off going to autozone or the like and getting a set of bits. I would even say go as far as get a set of security bits (They have a hole in the center of the bit) because there are a few things that come up that need that.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
that would be a size 20 torx bit and there should be 5 bulbs in total in there

on lazy days I just use a small flathead screwdriver thats just wide enough to fit tight and snug and unscrew it (if i'm on the road) I don;t suggest you do this if it doesn't turn easy

Plus the torx screwdriver is cheap $2-$3 from a auto parts store or hardware store

after a while the clips that hold the bulb tight in those third lights become loose and they fall out (Cheap tin they use I just stick a piece of plastic that I cut to size right behind the clips to force them to the center again and put more tension on the bulbs..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.
I'll try to pick up a Torx 20 sometime this weekend. At the very least I should be able to remove the bulb and stop the annoying rattle until I can get it replaced/reattached/whatever.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
yeah its really worth it to just pick up a set, youll thank yourself next time you have to fix something lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts