Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm finally tired of the crappy looking silver center console cover and want to paint it black. I have the black interior so the silver just looks out of place.

Are there any guides showing how to remove this piece of plastic? I'm assuming it just requires the removal of tabs...eek..!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link, I tried to search but it didn't work as usual. I think somebody already painted their center console trim black, anyone know the dude who did it? I know he posted some pictures. Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
USA...,
These may help.

They are underside images of a spare console of a 2009.
It shows how it is attached.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! That surely does help but it does raise a few concerns as well. How do you get the console off without runing the tabs? When I removed my door panels to install new speakers I busted a few of those tabs, except they were plastic but looked just like that,

Also, do you guys know if the headunit and all the buttons are attached to the center console and if they are removable for painting?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I took my center console out to wire my loc for a sub and amp. Everything went fine, no broken tabs at all. It was easier than I thought. The "hardest" part I found was removing the console from around the shifter, but with patience you can do it with no issues. I'm not sure about the buttons, but I do know the headunit is attached to the dash piece. There's 4 pieces - center console, speedo bezel, passenger side, and center of dash with head unit attached.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts

This is mine. Easy to do just remember that it is in a high use zone and the paint WILL chip or rub off after some time.

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
^^ All buttons are removable. I replaced my OEM stereo with a DD Dvd player and installed amp kit for my previous 2 12s. With the new dash kit, it is required to swap out the AC controls and Traction control over to the Aftermarket dash. ITS very easy to do.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It does look really good, so here's what I'll do.

1. Remove center console trim, disconnect wiring and remove buttons.

2. Sand with 1000 Grit.

3. Two-Three coats of Krylon Black.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
^prime the pieces 1st. The silver paint will react with the Krylon and wrinkle up.

·
Trying to Focus
1,881 Posts
Also consider a satin-finish rather than a gloss black to help reduce glare.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Remember that he has an SES so his pieces are smooth. My S has the dimpled cream pieces.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts