Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any good ideas on removing the center console on an '03 sedan? I removed the "arm" piece cause it was getting in the way when I put in a short shifter, but I'd like to grind down the base of the console between the seats. Only problem is it will be real ugly if I dont have a decent idea of how to close that off afterwards.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
If you take off the console, that base that the armrest sat on unbolts, so you don't have to cut it.

The console come off with 3 screws, under the 2 front cupholders and under that tiny plastic circle in the rear cupholder. Then the armrest tower has 2 more bolts holding it to the car's floor, 8 or 10 mm.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Focus, what do you mean the piece that come upwards, the big old tower looking thing that the armrest/storage piece screws onto? Because that thing does come off, I've done it.

Because if it didn't come out then he couldn't just swap a non-armrest console into the space... I agree that's the way to go, 'glassing the hole where the tower used to come through would work too, but sounds much more labor-intensive. You could also try to find someone without an armrest that wants one, and trade.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks you two- Yes the current console will come all the way out. I was just unaware that there was a console without the arm rest.

I will contact that seller about his.

·
Registered
465 Posts
on my console the the rear of it went upwards and made kind of like a backwards "c" shape to hold the armrest/storage area and allow its pivot point and the only part that came off was that armrest/storage area leaving this ugly tower. i ended up glassing it with a scull as an armrest with led's coming out of his eyes and the cup holders are now gauges, but that will also be forsale on here soon as i finish the last of the sanding( too lazy)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep. That's the beast! I ordered a console from ebay that doesnt have the "tower." Should arrive in a day or so.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I'll give you a tip on messing with the console : PLAN AHEAD!!!!

I didn't like the armrest, it was in the way when it was down, and in the way when it was up. So first I ordered an SVT console and installed that. But the SVT console has a power point that I hadn't ordered, so I ordered all the parts and when they came took the console back out to install them. Then I ordered the Steeda STS and took the console out to install that. Then I ordered the leather SVT parking brake and took the console out to install that. Needless to say I am now an expert at removing and installing the console <g>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts