Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my CEL came on today, while i was at work, right when i started my car. i went to test mode on the gauge cluster and it saysd no DTCs.
it sounds like it only starts on 3 cyl and after a few seconds runs fine. im goin to check the plugs and wires tomorrow.

any other things i should check or any other ideas what made the CEL come on?

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Clear the Cel and see if it comes back. There are several misfire codes so that could be it if you have a miss.

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
yeah, id say to clear it out too. it could just be a sporadic fault

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
so my CEL came on today, while i was at work, right when i started my car. i went to test mode on the gauge cluster and it saysd no DTCs.
it sounds like it only starts on 3 cyl and after a few seconds runs fine. im goin to check the plugs and wires tomorrow.

any other things i should check or any other ideas what made the CEL come on?

Never ever use the gauge cluster to try to diagnose a problem. It's not a scan tool and it will only display faults with the cluster itself, not the ECU or any associated sensor.

Sounds like it's running on 3 cylinders ... plugs, check them all wires too; check the coil for cracks and the pigtail integrity ... clean the battery terminals.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
There are also codes that wont come up unless you use the dealers scan tool.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
iminhell-
ive used it befor on a friends focus to pull codes. he has a scan tool and the same ones came up.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i changed the plugs and wires.
starts smoother. now im just waiting to see if the CEL comes back on.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so the CEL came back on for cyl2 misfire.
i changed the plugs and wires.

it only misses on start up then idles fine after about 10 seconds
anyone have any ideas?

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
well I can tell you Ive worked on clusters ( repairing) and the DCT's that show up there are majority for the cluster only.. the ONLY codes that will spit out from the computer would be simple stupid and mainly electrical problems

I CAN verify that the cluster does NOT display pretty much the majority of the errors

I recently was in an accident with Wagon 1 when i took it to storage I sat in the car turned the key and everything did its check, ok airbag lights on ( gee i wonder why) check engines on I trip the cluster DTC "NONE" crank crank crank no start (go back into the cluster DCT "NONE"
pulled out my OLD OBDII reader plugged it in it displayed reading but would display "TIME OUT" after 15 seconds

Pulled out my new Equus 3030B OBDII/CAN reader plugged it in and it spat out this error code

P0148 (Fuel Delivery Error)

then it hit me Emergency fuel shutoff ( I reset)

turn the key, crank it and not even a full crank the car fires up and the check engine light disappears

I only went into the test portion of the cluster to mess around while waiting for somone to arrive

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> ive used it befor on a friends focus to pull codes. he has a scan tool and the same ones came up.

The odo codes are not reliable as the odo trick will miss some codes and report false codes at some times.

Since you cannot trust the codes to be accurate, it is a waste of time and a proper scan tool or code reader should be used.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so enough with the cluster not being for pulling codes! i got that point. i came here for tech help, not to be told the same thing 10 times.

THE CODE IS P0302 (CYL 2 MISFIRE). I JUST CHANGED THE PLUGS AND WIRES. WHAT ELSE MIGHT IT BE?

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Geez ^^^ Grumpy grumpy....

Check the lead wires going to the coil for good connections, they have been known to break or short out.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
That will be caused by one of the following

Fouled Spark plug
Faulty Wire
Faulty Coilpack
the harness that plugs into the coilpack has a short/break or is corroded

·
Registered
114 Posts
make sure the coil for cylinder # 2 has a clean contact to snap the wire on. had that problem with the olds, i had to replace it. seems okay now

1 - 16 of 16 Posts