Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear ford fanatics!

I love my ford focus but I had it checked for the check engine light, and low and behold my hulk strength broke the gas cap seal. The mechanic wanted 258 dollars to fix that plus a throttle body with some carbon build up.

So i decided to replace the cap myself, how long must I drive it before it resets if it does not reset on its own how do I reset it?

and if worse comes to worse should I get the throttle body cleaned?
I have a ford focus zx3 2005

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Reset (DTC) codes by either;
1 - disconnect battery (negative side only) for 10 minutes
2 - (preferred method here) take car to car part store and ask them to connect a DTC scan tool and clear them. Ask them to write down the codes before clearing them. This is a free service at most places.

The old gas cap might have not been bad. You might have been misled(?).

You can clean the throttle body (TB) yourself. With basic tools and skill you can do it. Completely remove the TB from car, but do NOT disconnect the throttle cables; so you will be cleaning the TB while hovering over the engine. Use Carb Cleaner (found at car part store or Walmart) and Scotch Brite kitchen scrub pads and a toothbrush. Water and Dawn Oxi (whatever you prefer) dish washing soap as a base cleaner; and Carb Cleaner as needed. I often use surgical gloves when cleaning with Carb Cleaner and similar products.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
It'll take a while to reset on it's own, a matter of a day or two possibly due to how the system checks for trouble there.

Many parts stores will do a code check/reset for free if you want to go that route.

Pulling the battery negative & waiting a bit should reset it, but the whole system will need to relearn after that & it takes a while to go through all the tests/readjustments. Idle learn goes faster after that if you let it sit idling in the drive for a while after the first restart until it settles down.

Throttle body needs cleaning if your throttle tends to stick shut, needing more pressure to break loose from idle. You can clean that adequately with proper cleaner from the parts store & a rag by only removing the intake tube, don't even need to pull the throttle body to get it good enough to get rid of that problem on your model.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Two at once again Marde!

I used carb cleaner myself, as it was on hand. Have to work FAST and not leave that on long as the plastic doesn't like it.

T/B cleaner, MAF cleaner even might be better choices depending what's available. Won't clean as fast, but safer for the plastic.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
You can clean that adequately with proper cleaner from the parts store & a rag by only removing the intake tube, don't even need to pull the throttle body to get it good enough to get rid of that problem on your model.
I agree.

Please disregard my advise that says to disconnect/remove the TB.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts