Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, hers the story. I got a CEL when I started my car back up on walmart. Looked under the hood of the car and the CAI poped out of the sleeve below the Mass airflow sensor thing. I put it back on engine sounded good. Will the CEL dissapear or will have have to bring the car in?

·
Registered
152 Posts
The code will stay. The light will go out over time. Clean your throttle body and mass air flow sensor, and unplug your battery if you dont have a scanner or code reader. That will reset all OBD monitors, and the MIL will go out.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, now if i get a tuner will that take out the codes? And wut do i clear mass air flow sensor with a cutip wit rubbing alchole?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I use a 90 degree pic and some shop towel with intake or carb cleaner. Rubbing alchole should work to. Just dont mark it up, bend it, or break it lol.

A tune comes with a "flasher", which can read and clear codes. (such as the SCT) However, they are still limited when it comes to diagnosing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
STOP!!! dont touch your MAF wire with anything. its specifically calibrated to reach a certain temperature. the amount of air flowing through the MAF changes that temp at a specific rate. touching the hotwire could damage it. spraying it with some evaporative brake cleaner or alcohol may help. but it cant leave a residue. driving it the way it is may not affect its signal too much. or the ecu can compensate fuel trims after a couple drive cycles. either way its not worth trashing the MAF to find out. a PO131 i think, system too lean, it will take like 10 full drive cycles to clear.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
use electrical contact spray if anything...

personally, I wouldn't touch it. Since you obviously know what made the CEL... no need to have it there for a dealer to datalog it... Just reset your battery for a few minutes and restart the car.

If the CEL is still there, then you can try cleaning the MAF... but my guess is that you will not have a CEL.

·
Registered
121 Posts
OBD 2 is very smart. You cant rest it by unpluging the Battery, the codes will remaine. Your "CEL" will turn off after 3 good runs and will clear the code afeter 40 good start ups. You can go to like Auto Zone or Advanced and have them read and clear the code free of charge. Do not clean your MAF with anything other then a cotton swab. Its a hot wier MAF and can burn out if any solvent gets on it.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, lol you guys were a little late. What I did was take some cutips nothing on it and just gently swirled it inside the sensor to clean andy dust. Put the CAI and made sure it wouldnt pop out this time. De attached battery and repluged now eveyrthing is fine, so far drove bout 200miles and nothing bad :). So the code will clear itself after 40 good start ups?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yeah even though your light went off, if you were to hook a scan tool up, there will be a code pending. The car sees that the problem was corrected but will wait 40 warm up cycles until it thinks that there is no danger of the problem comeing back. At that time the code will completely clear. Its a standard in the industry or any car with OBDII.

Glad you fixed it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts