Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some weird things are going on with the SVT (58,000 miles). Has anyone seen this?
For a while, the CEL has been going on and off. It seemed to be linked to getting gas. Sometimes it will come on when I get gas and go off at about a half tank; other times it will come on at a half tank and then go off when I refuel. I originally thought it was the gas cap, but it passed emissions last month, so I don't think it would be a leak there.
Now the gas gauge is starting to be funny. I'll get gas and it will either take forever to go to full or it will drop to empty and the fuel light will come on. It won't fix itself until I shut off the car and restart again.
Any thoughts? I was thinking maybe it's the fuel pump but I'm not sure. Any help is appreciated.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Stop refueling with the car running.
Every Focus I've ever seen will have a slow fuel gauge if the car is running and you fill up, just how they are.
As per the light I would guess it's throwing an intermittent EVAP code due to the fueling while running, scenes a leak light comes on, leak is gone light goes out. May still be a stored code that could be pulled though, might want to check and post back.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I've never refueled with the car running, so it can't be that.
I was thinking about taking it to AutoZone to get the code. I'm still curious about the fuel gauge issue though. Maybe the code will give me some insight.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Some cars have a fuel temperature sensor.....usually located on the fuel level device in the gas tank. A problem there can turn on a CEL. I'm not sure if a Focus has this sensor......for sure get the code read.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts