Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

ok so I installed the FocusSport CAI and drove around for about 3 hours with no CEL, now today I pick it up from the place I got my windows tinted and the CEL is on. Checked under the hood, all seems ok, disconnected the battery, CEL is still on. Figured this is probably normal but if you look, in my hand I am holding a rubber hose that was connected to the stock intake. On the FocusSport intake there is no spot to connect this... No air comes in or out of this when you rev the engine. Is this normal or could this be the source of the CEL?

also when I start the car it makes a grinding whiny noise, goes away after a few minutes, but happens again when i turn off the car... is that normal too?

ps it's a D20E... that's the PZEV

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
can't help you with the tube, but mine makes a grinding noise if i shut it off and turn the key back on within a few seconds. like if i forget the windows or something. maybe they added something on the 06 d20e that no one was aware of

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm well do you think it's safe to have on there, how many miles have you driven with it on, and how bout the CEL

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
i dunno. i have no clue what it is, i try to remeber to put my windows up before i shut the car off.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
it goes to the air pump. to the right of the valve cover, there should be an air (AIR for you picky bastards) pump, and just look for the spot where the hose goes

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
right of the valve cover... i'll go check but i don't recall a spot that would fit this hose...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok went out and took a look, the hose doesn't stretch very far, and I see what i believe to be the air pump, there is a hose identical in design to the one that is in question already connected to it.... so that can't be it

·
Registered
696 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but did you make sure what you ordered and what you received was the same CAI for a PZEV and not one for a different engine? That may, or may not, explain why you have "extra pieces".

[paranoid]

[8]

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm well the focussport does not say for PZEV... i thought this could perhaps be the problem but i'm not sure, i'm going to try to do a makeshift rig tomorrow with the rubber flex arm and see if i can reattach that hose and just plug up one of the extra smaller hose opennings. We'll see

·
Registered
696 Posts
Just dont jack it up too bad that you cant return it if it is in fact the wrong one.

[thumb]

[8]

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh yea i don't plan to hack anything on it, i was looking at marcy motorsports, their's says for the PZEV and non PZEV... doesn't say that anywhere on FocusSport

·
Registered
696 Posts
Better call them up tomorrow and find out. Oh, and I pm'd you shawn on a few things concerning your zx4.

[8]

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
comeon dude. the only company that makes intake for 2 diferent d-power foci is cosowrth and thats just mounting position for the auto and mtx.

obviously something fell out of place. there are tons of people with 03/04 2.3 duratecs running around with focussport cold air kits.

just go over the install again and double check your work

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yea I went over the install again... everything I have seen as far as pictures of the install don't even have this hose in the picture.... I may be able to modify the piping to fit that hose onto it however. Will keep you guys updated. If anyone has any specific info on this please let me know.

PS the install directions that I recieved from FocusSport were very shoddy in my opinion. Could barely make out the pictures.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE:

Just heard back from someone at FocusSport. Apparently they've been getting reports of some 06's and 07's having this hose. Some have them some do not. They believe it is safe to drive in the mean time, but I am waiting to hear back from a technician and he will give me the final word. What they may do is drill a hole into the FocusSport CAI and plug it with an adapter for this hose, which is what I was thinking I may do myself to correct this. Will check back here once I hear back from the technician at FS.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Can't believe FS didn't have an idea about that in the design phase. Odd...

[confused]

[8]

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea I know, I guess now they are getting around to a solution.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts