Focus Fanatics Forum banner

CD Player help

1758 Views 19 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  kanarrjl
From what I understand, Ford CD players have problems.

My '03 SVT 6-CD changer just makes that annoying clicking sound for about 30 seconds to a minute and shows a CD error.

My friend's 2005 Mustang does the same thing. Is there an easy fix or am I going to need a new system to be able to have a 6-CD changer?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having never done anything like a head unit swap...

I'm not going to half-ass it and get something barely worth it. I've watched videos on how to take out the stock unit. It looks extremely easy. A friend of mine has a 2004 Mustang and he took out the original unit and put in a basic Pioneer unit. There's a lot of empty space under it so there's a little bracket thing in there. I don't want any ugly empty space.

I like the looks of this one. It has exactly the features I want. Support for the subwoofer, bluetooth audio, pandora, USB, etc. If it's got that stuff I really don't need a 6-CD changer.

Is this going to fit snugly like the stock unit, will it be worth the money, and lastly is there an off-brand version of it cheaper?

I know I probably ask too many noob questions...

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at those guides and it all looked simple until I found out that keeping the stock sub in the SVT requires some messing with the wires.

I'd really like to keep the sub, but I don't feel comfortable tearing up wires like that.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its not super difficult, but Like I said, its not beginner level either.

A local car stereo shop should have no problem making it happen.
I'll have to see if I can find a car stereo shop. I live out in the middle of frickin' nowhere in Southern Missouri. I might find one within 45 minutes though.

I'll do some looking. I think for now, I'll just see if I can live with a 15$ cig lighter auxiliary FM transmitter.

It'll be a good thing to add to the list of things I want to do with my car though.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dump that sub. Buy a dedicated sub amp, new sub and this, http://subthump.com/Ford-Sub-Boxes/Focus

They can make it for a 12" sub and can make it deeper for more enclosure volume to match the T/S parameters required for the sub of your choice.
Noted!

Good stuff...but more of a long term thing for me. I'm a high school student and I work part time at a grocery store. Right now, i'm paying off the $345 CV Axle replacement.

It'll be a "down-the-road" thing. Sub upgrade maybe...I really like the sound that i'm getting out of the stock speakers right now...I have no problem with it.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Single DIN units can be mounted without a hole left by using the Metra adapter that's commonly available. It gives you a small cubby beneath the radio that's useful.
That little cubby is exactly what I want to avoid. I think it looks pretty ugly.

You sound like you're on a tight budget. I've purchased two different Kenwood head units from eBay recently. A used one for less than 50 total, and a new one (X-397) for 85 total. Both great. The steering wheel controls adapter is like 40 or so, but not necessary at all, just convenient. Get the metra or scosche dash/install kit for a single din and follow the instructions found on this site. Easy. The stock sub hookup is just cutting a couple of wires, not terrible. It can be done by a novice in about an hour. I used a solder iron and some tube shrinkwrap I bought (less than 20 dollars together) to make the wire connections professional. Your call. You can definitely do it.
I found a guy up the road from me who did a similar job in a friend's car. I'll get around to it eventually.

For now, I just put in an order for an FM transmitter...$12 to buy some time is something I can live with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.