Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I understand, Ford CD players have problems.

My '03 SVT 6-CD changer just makes that annoying clicking sound for about 30 seconds to a minute and shows a CD error.

My friend's 2005 Mustang does the same thing. Is there an easy fix or am I going to need a new system to be able to have a 6-CD changer?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Most everybody upgrades from the stock head unit. The factory unit becomes glitchy and has many known issues after some years. I would suggest getting a new head unit. I did this and it is great. Plus, being able to have an auxiliary input is nice.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having never done anything like a head unit swap...

I'm not going to half-ass it and get something barely worth it. I've watched videos on how to take out the stock unit. It looks extremely easy. A friend of mine has a 2004 Mustang and he took out the original unit and put in a basic Pioneer unit. There's a lot of empty space under it so there's a little bracket thing in there. I don't want any ugly empty space.

I like the looks of this one. It has exactly the features I want. Support for the subwoofer, bluetooth audio, pandora, USB, etc. If it's got that stuff I really don't need a 6-CD changer.

Is this going to fit snugly like the stock unit, will it be worth the money, and lastly is there an off-brand version of it cheaper?

I know I probably ask too many noob questions...

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Having never done anything like a head unit swap...

I'm not going to half-ass it and get something barely worth it. I've watched videos on how to take out the stock unit. It looks extremely easy. A friend of mine has a 2004 Mustang and he took out the original unit and put in a basic Pioneer unit. There's a lot of empty space under it so there's a little bracket thing in there. I don't want any ugly empty space.

I like the looks of this one. It has exactly the features I want. Support for the subwoofer, bluetooth audio, pandora, USB, etc. If it's got that stuff I really don't need a 6-CD changer.

Is this going to fit snugly like the stock unit, will it be worth the money, and lastly is there an off-brand version of it cheaper?

I know I probably ask too many noob questions...

There arent any replacements besides finding one used on ebay/classifieds.

You can fit a double-din with some minor modification, there is a tutorial on it in the audio section here. Just search it.

If you havent done it before, and arent comfortable doing it, just take it to your local shop, or call up a friend. Its not a difficult job, but you dont want to hook anything up backwards and fry some expensive equipment.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at those guides and it all looked simple until I found out that keeping the stock sub in the SVT requires some messing with the wires.

I'd really like to keep the sub, but I don't feel comfortable tearing up wires like that.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I just put a Kenwood in as well, and it is relatively easy. I did everything myself, aandhave never previously done any work like this. I even got the adapter for the steering wheel controls and cut 5he few wires to keep the stock sub. Everything is great and I'm really happy with it.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
I looked at those guides and it all looked simple until I found out that keeping the stock sub in the SVT requires some messing with the wires.

I'd really like to keep the sub, but I don't feel comfortable tearing up wires like that.
Its not super difficult, but Like I said, its not beginner level either.

A local car stereo shop should have no problem making it happen.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its not super difficult, but Like I said, its not beginner level either.

A local car stereo shop should have no problem making it happen.
I'll have to see if I can find a car stereo shop. I live out in the middle of frickin' nowhere in Southern Missouri. I might find one within 45 minutes though.

I'll do some looking. I think for now, I'll just see if I can live with a 15$ cig lighter auxiliary FM transmitter.

It'll be a good thing to add to the list of things I want to do with my car though.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Dump that sub. Buy a dedicated sub amp, new sub and this, http://subthump.com/Ford-Sub-Boxes/Focus

They can make it for a 12" sub and can make it deeper for more enclosure volume to match the T/S parameters required for the sub of your choice.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dump that sub. Buy a dedicated sub amp, new sub and this, http://subthump.com/Ford-Sub-Boxes/Focus

They can make it for a 12" sub and can make it deeper for more enclosure volume to match the T/S parameters required for the sub of your choice.
Noted!

Good stuff...but more of a long term thing for me. I'm a high school student and I work part time at a grocery store. Right now, i'm paying off the $345 CV Axle replacement.

It'll be a "down-the-road" thing. Sub upgrade maybe...I really like the sound that i'm getting out of the stock speakers right now...I have no problem with it.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
To save money buy parts from Rockauto.com, leaves more money for speakers and boxes lol.

I can also tell you the Subthump box is awesome. I have one with a Polk 12 and it bangs hard now that I replaced the factory head unit.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Single DIN units can be mounted without a hole left by using the Metra adapter that's commonly available. It gives you a small cubby beneath the radio that's useful.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
You sound like you're on a tight budget. I've purchased two different Kenwood head units from eBay recently. A used one for less than 50 total, and a new one (X-397) for 85 total. Both great. The steering wheel controls adapter is like 40 or so, but not necessary at all, just convenient. Get the metra or scosche dash/install kit for a single din and follow the instructions found on this site. Easy. The stock sub hookup is just cutting a couple of wires, not terrible. It can be done by a novice in about an hour. I used a solder iron and some tube shrinkwrap I bought (less than 20 dollars together) to make the wire connections professional. Your call. You can definitely do it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Single DIN units can be mounted without a hole left by using the Metra adapter that's commonly available. It gives you a small cubby beneath the radio that's useful.
That little cubby is exactly what I want to avoid. I think it looks pretty ugly.

You sound like you're on a tight budget. I've purchased two different Kenwood head units from eBay recently. A used one for less than 50 total, and a new one (X-397) for 85 total. Both great. The steering wheel controls adapter is like 40 or so, but not necessary at all, just convenient. Get the metra or scosche dash/install kit for a single din and follow the instructions found on this site. Easy. The stock sub hookup is just cutting a couple of wires, not terrible. It can be done by a novice in about an hour. I used a solder iron and some tube shrinkwrap I bought (less than 20 dollars together) to make the wire connections professional. Your call. You can definitely do it.
I found a guy up the road from me who did a similar job in a friend's car. I'll get around to it eventually.

For now, I just put in an order for an FM transmitter...$12 to buy some time is something I can live with.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I usually go with Crutchfield, it might cost a few extra bucks, but they give you all the car-specific adapters you will need and have AWESOME customer support.
I've used these guys a couple times before, as stated^^^^^^^

·
Registered
35 Posts
When you do buy the parts to do it, I suggest that you buy the Metra parts instead of the Scosche they are usually a better quality, as far as plastics being thicker and nicer fitting and wires being a bigger size. For the most part hooking up an aftermarket head unit is just matching wire colors. When I got hired at a car audio shop, the first thing that they had me do was wire up an aftermarket head unit, granted it was checked by a more qualified installer after, but if it is that easy then anyone can do it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts