Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have always hated my 6 disc changer that came in my ST because it is unreliable. But now I hate it more. I don't know what happened but it says CD Error and won't do anything. It won't play any discs, change any of them or eject any. Nothing. Something is probably jammed. So my question is how to get the darned thing out and what to replace it with perhaps.

·
Registered
504 Posts
happened to me first day i got my svt. needless to say i was PISSED!

So i removed and unplugged the unit, started to try and take it apart. I guess all the shaking and jouncing did some work because when i put it back in (still intact because i had no torx) it just started working. I had CD error 3.

Apparently the arm that moves the cds from play position to store position has trouble gripping onto the cd. I've heard some BAAAAAD horror stories from these things about people losing CDs.

Sorry i cant be more helpful... i guess what i would do is get a new deck. Take it apart if the CD inside is of any value and try to piece it back together if you can, but that shit is always gonna keep re-occuring.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
First thing.....never put the original CD in one of these changers (not unless you don't mind losing it). Always use a copy.

Next.....the guts of these things are a fantastic combination of tiny mechanical and electrical pieces, all assembled in a certain order. In order to take it apart requires your having a bunch of special/tiny sized tools. And good eye-sight or a big magnifier. Plus.....many of the screws are different sizes, different threads....they have to go back in the same holes, and there's a bunch of them.

When you do take it apart, you might find it needs a part or a circuit board that you'll have great difficulty locating.

Conclusion.....send it off to get it repaired. Some repair places charge a flat rate to repair the things...say $250 no matter what's wrong.

The best solution.....don't buy one in the first place, and don't fix it if it craps out. Which it is very likely to do. I've owned three cars that had them, and two crapped out. My current Focus has one, still under warranty for three years.....lucky me.

·
Registered
191 Posts
ah man you gave me the answer i didn't want to hear. I told myself pretty much the same thing but didn't believe myself. Always good to get a 3rd opinion. I guess I'll get a new deck that has a aux so I can use an MP3 player.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
CD player is always the first thing that gets swapped out when I get a new car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts