Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so.... I just decided today that I want to get a new cat.... any ideas on them? are they easy to install? do they make the car a lot louder? any performance gains? and of course...... I found a Magnaflow cat that would go great with my magnaflow cat-back.....but I'd like to install them at the same time. only problem is, the one they have listed fits the VIN "3" version. I have the VIN "P" does it really matter and would it fit if I get the one for VIN 3?

sorry, I'm just completely in the dark when it comes to cats. (no pun intended [;)])

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hmm might as well add this.... is it even worth it? it would cost about $225 which is a lot more than I thought :p

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ah I didn't even check there... if you already have a cat back on, for example, and put a hi flow cat on... does it make it a lot louder or ricier?

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah it will be louder but i never heard one
hmm.....I'll do a little more youtubin, or else I should just drop the idea. can't have it too loud

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
An aftermarket cat is alot less restrictive. You'll actually gain more power by adding a hi-flow cat over an aftermarket cat-back exhaust. It's definately worth the $225.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh and another question: which would give more hp gains, the cat-back and air intake (volant) or cat-back and hi flow cat? just a curious question, they'll all be on my car eventually.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Definately the hi-flow cat and the cat-back exhaust. You'll get the most power by adding a flex pipe the same diameter as the cat-back, and an SVT header.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ah flex pipes..... don't know if I wanna spend the money on em lol... (in the best Bobby Lee voice he can do) "Eh oh, hot dog!"

lol..... but is it true there's something about an 8 year/ 80,000 mile law that states you can't screw with an emissions system unless it's been damaged? if it's whichever comes first, then I'm good cause I have 106.....oh yeah, I just remembered, Foci's rolled over to 107K this week [:)]

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
don't think I wanna go the header route though.... as my stupid non functioning quote on my signature used to say....."Who driving that plane at 30mph..." focus with a header.

·
Machinery Technician
7,321 Posts
try finding a used in good shape high flow cat.. i bought on on FF for $120 shipped and the thing is practically new..
I just haven't installed it yet

·
Aggresive Not Crazy
1,815 Posts
i want to get a volant but i really dont want to spend $250. is it really worth it? AEM is like $175. post a vid of your exhaust once installed.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i want to get a volant but i really dont want to spend $250. is it really worth it? AEM is like $175. post a vid of your exhaust once installed.
I hear for our year range and make, the Volant yields about the best hp and torque gains you can get with an intake... too bad we can't get the advertised 14hp and 30 torque increase that they claim on their site. lol

as for the video though, I'm making one from as soon as I start it up first time (maybe even some installation) and take the short drive home :)

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Volant is way better than the AEM intake. With the AEM intake being placed where it is, you'll be getting heatsoak from the heat produced by the engine. The absolute best route I've heard is to get the SVT Air Box and snorkel and put in a K&N drop-in filter. I guess it outflows any aftermarket intake. And fortunately for me on the emissions thing, our state doesn't require testing [:D].

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
huh.....that's a new one. haha for some reason, I'm not gonna get screwed when I take it in for emissions with the new cat, will I? and just take your best guess at this... does it matter if I get the cat for the focus with the engine VIN 3, and not VIN P? as far as I know, there isn't a difference :p

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
I'm pretty sure it doesn't make a difference what VIN it is. When I went to get the oil filter for an oil change on my car, they had a couple of different filters with VIN 3 and VIN P like you said, and I chose one and it worked. Either way you'll be fine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
now i read something on here that you need a custom made flex pipe for the focus? you cant goto vip and say buy a 2-2.5" (depending on size of exhaust your going with) flexible exhaust pipe for it?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts