Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched intakes recently, from one which utilized a breather to one that connects the valve cover vent to the intake. When doing so I noticed the breather had a fair amount of oil in it and needed to be cleaned...also I remembered the small piece of foam in the stock intake was saturated with oil as well. I therefore decided that I should hook up a catch can to grab any oil before pulling it into the intake and past my MAF.

I had seen a few "ghetto" hook ups using some basic hardware and PVC tubing/caps, but I felt lazy and decided a cheap aluminum one would be ok.

Ordered one on eBay for 30 bucks and when it showed up, the hardware was mounted crooked and quality was total piss....so back it goes. Now I am back to square one and figured maybe i will just make one, lol.

I would like to see what some of you have used to make a catch can....also I will drop this link on you for your opinion. This person made one outta a fuel filter and not only was it dirt cheap, but i think it might actually work. [dunno]

http://www.tgilmore.com/talon/catchcan.html

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
that is not a bad idea. i think that will be my mod for the week. and under 5 bux. how can you beat that? i wonder how often he changes that filter. i have always been leery about that hose running to the intake piping and then oily entering the manifold. but this shall solve the problem. thanx !!

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no worries...figured some other people might chime in with other ideas...here is another that I found while searching

Instead of using a Fuel Filter, you can grab a filter for a compressor @ Lowe's or the Ho Depot and put it inline....they recommended taking out the white filter though:

yet another person (with a vette) plugged the intake and put a breather on the end of his. He claimed that the suction from the intake had the oil swirling around inside and he didnt want to risk sucking it in...here a link to his pic (it was kinda big to insert)

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/oilcatch/oilcatch-6.jpg

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
You can see mine behind the filter. If you want a better pic, ill send you one Jason.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike...i like the mounting location. Is that an aftermarket can? Also, are you venting to atmosphere or reconnecting with the intake?

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
do not do the one using the fuel filter. whats the purpose of the breather/ to remove te excess pressure. what happens when that filter becomes oil saturated? yep, no air and other fumes getting through.
a real catch can uses baffles to collect the oil but not hinder airflow through it.

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
also, if you are getting enough oil drawn into the intake that you need a catch can, you have bigger problems starting to show.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
^^^ This is true^^^ But At least they should be havin fun before they have to rebuild. When I finish I will post a pic up on the can I have for my very stock(cough cough) foci. I bought the summit can (plastic) and used all the parts mounted on a baby bottle because it was much smaller. The top threaded portion of the bottle fit the breathe filter perfect. I just tapped a couple of holes into the sides and the bottom of the bottle. Then I placed the small ball valve on the bottom of the bottle and tapped a line back into the oil pan so after a few high speed runs at the road course I can drain the oil back into the motor after shut down..

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Its actually in a different location now with the intake setup i am running now. Its a really nice piece made of billit aluminum, has a drain at the bottom, and can be disassembled into three oieces for cleaning. It has a wire mesh filter inside. The air intake im using now utilizes the factory airbox, yes, the factory one, but breaths better than anything i have done so far. Very neat setup and has a cooler intake charge than any setup so far also. I did some exprimenting on a short ram, a ture CAI, and this setup. This setup, using a drop in K&N, had an almost 30 degree difference than the short ram and about 10 degrees difference than the cai. The surface area of the drop in isnt enough of a difference over the K&N cone that i had to make any difference. So far, it works so well that i dont think ill ever change it unless i change the whole intake system by a s/c or turbo. Jason, ill send ya some pics of the setup if youre interested.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, I ended up buying the filter from the compressor. After looking at it in the Ho Depot, it seemed like it will certainly do the job and was less than 30 bucks to make. (filter/can, clamps, nozzles, hose)

Mike, if you wanna send me a few pics, I will certainly take a look. Thanks!

goinloco1 said:
also, if you are getting enough oil drawn into the intake that you need a catch can, you have bigger problems starting to show.
Its not that I have engine problems, nor do I have tons of oil coming outta my cover. But after autoX or a day in the mtns, I have noticed oil in my breather. Even if you have a stock airbox, you will find some oil where that hose goes into the box.

so why vent that crap into my intake? it's normal for some oil vapor to go out that hose...thats what its for: pressure relief -> unspent vapors back to intake to get burned off. I am just trying to catch that bit and keep it from muckin up my intake/MAF.

·
Registered
343 Posts
i got the cheap one on ebay and it works great on my elantra

1 - 13 of 13 Posts