Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the MBRP catback in my quest to improve my gas mileage as much as I can. I realize there will be more urge to get on the throttle if the exhaust sounds better but assuming I don't what sort of mileage increase could be expected?

·
Jetsetter
6,654 Posts
your not going to gain much, it is better flowing of course, but as far as mpg gain, maybe 1-2 and if thats the only reason you want it, you can find a much better way to spend $300 on improving your fuel economy

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
youll probably get the same. I got a little worse at first because id give it more gas to hear the sound. Great exhaust though

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
youll probably get the same. I got a little worse at first because id give it more gas to hear the sound. Great exhaust though
I've heard it's not much louder than stock when just driving around normal. Any truth to that or is it loud all the time?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Very very little actual gain in efficiency to the engine. If you want a catback exhaust for the noise, do it for that. It'll set you back, what, $400? You'll never make that back in saved fuel economy. If you want to increase your MPGs, exercise good driving manners and self control, and spend the money on keeping your car in a proper state of tune.

You will not, ever, make money by spending money in this way. It's the same logic as taking a $5,000 bath trading down to a car with ~10% better fuel economy - its self deception at best and plain idiocy at worst.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very very little actual gain in efficiency to the engine. If you want a catback exhaust for the noise, do it for that. It'll set you back, what, $400? You'll never make that back in saved fuel economy. If you want to increase your MPGs, exercise good driving manners and self control, and spend the money on keeping your car in a proper state of tune.

You will not, ever, make money by spending money in this way. It's the same logic as taking a $5,000 bath trading down to a car with ~10% better fuel economy - its self deception at best and plain idiocy at worst.
If I was to get one I'd probably wait to see if Santa would bring it that way it doesn't cost me anything. But if it really wouldn't save me that much gas I'd look at other things.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There are very few mods that will help mpg. The factory squeezes about as much mpg as can be had. Alot of times when you go with a "free flowing exhaust" the scavenging effect is lost and MPG goes down. Only reason to do an exhaust on these cars is if you have a supercharger or you just want it to sound fast.

·
Registered
326 Posts
There are very few mods that will help mpg. The factory squeezes about as much mpg as can be had. Alot of times when you go with a "free flowing exhaust" the scavenging effect is lost and MPG goes down. Only reason to do an exhaust on these cars is if you have a supercharger or you just want it to sound fast.
i'd like to know why having a supercharger has anything to do with it? People buy exhausts sor either sound/style/performance. Not b/c they have a supercharger rofl. So are you saying it's a waste to do full exhaust cause all it does it sound fast? [paranoid]

·
Banned
41 Posts
i heard better muffler bearings help out alot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i'd like to know why having a supercharger has anything to do with it? People buy exhausts sor either sound/style/performance. Not b/c they have a supercharger rofl. So are you saying it's a waste to do full exhaust cause all it does it sound fast? [paranoid]
Ok..I will explain a little bit more in depth. The effectiveness of a bigger freer flowing exhaust is mostly seen on high hp cars that rev to really high rpms. On a 110 hp spi motor a catback is not likely to see any more than a 10 hp gain. On a supercharged 200-300hp car you are likely to see a 20-30 hp gain. Also the hp gains are seen only in the very top of the power band and can actually hurt low end torque. Catback effectiveness increases exponentially with rpm and base hp. Price vs performance on a normally aspirated 110hp car makes it a very uneconomical mod if your doing it for performance. Alot of cars don't respond well to bigger freer flowing exhausts and actually lose horsepower and mpg.[:)]

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
You can't expect V8 kind of gains from an exhaust system on a focus, but full exhaust gives good power, especially if you have a lot of other bolts ons to go along with it.
I know this because I have full exhaust on my spi and the difference in power was definitely noticeable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I know this because I have full exhaust on my spi and the difference in power was definitely noticeable.
The buttometer can be deceiving. If you were to put it on a dyno before and after you would see that you probably lost a little torque down low and gained a little hp up in the top of the rpm band. Exhaust has a huge impact on the torque curve of an engine. Bigger is not always better. Same goes for intake runners. Long and skinny runners bring the torque curve down and short fat runners bring the torque curve up. If you want to get good mpg you design an engine with the torque curve right in the middle of the rpm you drive in the most. If you are looking to get the fastest ET at the track then you design the engine to make peak hp right at or slightly before your shifting rpm. Take a look at the late John Lingenfelters engine book some time. He explains it much better than me.[hihi]

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
My 1/4 mile times from before and after full exhaust would tell otherwise my friend.
Went from an 18.6 to a 17.4 just by adding full exhaust, all 3 motor mounts, got my car dyno tuned by Tom, and changed to lighter wheels.

I know from going with a 2.5" exhaust, I lost a little low end torque, but when I got my car dyno tuned, I gained all of that low end torque back and more. The midrange torque is damn good also, and the high end torque was improved the most from the free flowing exhaust. It also helped that I have a good intake setup.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My 1/4 mile times from before and after full exhaust would tell otherwise my friend.
Went from an 18.6 to a 17.4 just by adding full exhaust, all 3 motor mounts, got my car dyno tuned by Tom, and changed to lighter wheels.

I know from going with a 2.5" exhaust, I lost a little low end torque, but when I got my car dyno tuned, I gained all of that low end torque back and more. The midrange torque is damn good also, and the high end torque was improved the most from the free flowing exhaust. It also helped that I have a good intake setup.
Pretty nice gains from just bolt ons. I'll bet the tuning did more than anything. When you get the air fuel ratio at wide open throttle just right it can give significant gains. My Firebird will gain +- 60 rwhp just by adjusting the air fuel from 10.5 to 11.5.[burnout]

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
no way, 60 rwhp by addjusting the AFR not a chance! especialy in an old ass firebird, I could see it happening if you had a mullet, but I feel that you don't have one of those.

·
Registered
326 Posts
no way, 60 rwhp by addjusting the AFR not a chance! especialy in an old ass firebird, I could see it happening if you had a mullet, but I feel that you don't have one of those.

ha.. [goofydrunk]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nope no mullet here. LOL. Just an old Army Pilot gearhead with a fade and a talent for building and tuning 600rwhp V8's. And to the original poster there is no chance that a catback will increase your mileage significantly.[:)]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts