Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My catalytic conv cover hangs down in back. Is the rear of the cover supposed to be bolted up?

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
Yes, there is 1 bolt on the rear side of the shield

* If it is hanging down then you lost the bolt or it pulled through the thin metal of the shield. Get a new bolt if needed, and use a washer so that the bolt doesn't pull through the metal. Also you can use metal hose clamps to wrap the entire cat shield which seems to be most dealers method of dealing with these shields. Heat shield problems and the SVTF are very common.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll slide under the car once it cools down and take a closer look. Seems like a simple fix that I'll do eventhough I'm still in warranty.

Whats the TSB for the broken cat bracket about? Is that different than the cat shield?

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
Yeah, there is a bracket that is bolted to the back of the motor where the cat angles up and turns to the rear of the car to meet the flex. I've heard of those beaking for some but me, I've ran an ORP or highflow longer than the stock cat so I never had an issue with the bracket. It's something that you can inspect when you are under the car if you get the chance.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Mine had the 1800 rpm rattle 2 weeks after I bought the car so I just clamped mine up real tight. I didn't want to start any brush fires.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sure enough, two of the three bolts had pulled through the heat shield.

I removed it completely for now, is there any other issue with it being removed other than the possibility of starting a forest fire when I'm off-roading?[:)]

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
ott said:
I would just pull the heatshield off. It's gonna fall off sooner or later.

ditto...I took mine off. Its not really protecting anything and I have been without it for 9 months and no issues.

·
Registered
365 Posts
i just put and orp on that fixed it. But if you want to leave it on you could get new bolt as mentioned above and get a big hose clamp or two and that would stop the rattling, also help holding it on. i clamped mine before i put the orp on it worked great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts