Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been doing some upgrades on the car recently, both for MPG and cosmetics.

My first questions lies with the exhaust. I had a Magnaflow cat back installed on my 07 the past week. I'll be installing the Steeda short ram this following this weekend. I was looking at upgrading the Cats. Would it be best to upgrades the one at the headers and remove the second, or upgrade both? Could someone tell me why there are two and what the best option would be?

I was thinking about upgrading the plugs and wires too for a better performance series. Would this be worth it?

The electrical question is the following. I installed the halo / projector / CCFL headlights on my car. The driver side parking light does not work, but the blinker fully works (same bulb). How would I tell if my car is not providing the power to run the DRL, or if the headlight is the issue?

Also, I'll be doing tint as well. The front is 35% max which I'll do. The back windows don't have a limit.I was looking at the 10-20% range. What would be the best?

Thank you for your inputs.
- Tyler

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Are you looking to upgrade the converter or install a header? If upgrading the converter= get a '05-'07 st mani/cat in place of your log manifold. If your looking at a header= get a fwerks header & add your flex back system. W/ a header you'll want to do a tune to delete the rear o2 senser + the beni's that comes w/ a tune. Your motor use a cop system= no wires. I use Denso iridium plugs, it20. For tint, I have the legal limit on the side windows & limo tint on the back windshield & a limo tint front windshield band across the top, 6'' or so down & have them cut it even across the bottom & not curved. For the electrical issues someone else would need to chime in. One of the reasons I run the stock headlights w/ Hella bulbs.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The electrical question is the following. I installed the halo / projector / CCFL headlights on my car. The driver side parking light does not work, but the blinker fully works (same bulb). How would I tell if my car is not providing the power to run the DRL, or if the headlight is the issue?

Thank you for your inputs.
- Tyler
While the parking and turn lights use the same bulb, there are 2 filaments in it dimmer one being the parking light and the brighter one being the turn signal. Try swapping bulbs between sides and if the problem follows the bulb, simply replace it with a 3157NA available at any auto parts stores and also big box stores like Walmart, Target, Meijer's, and probably even your local grocery store. Or if you had to splice in your own connectors for the turn signal bulbs check your connections.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know the legalities of tint for my state. I just didn't know where in the 10-20% range I would want to put my rear passenger windows (and the back window). I'm not sure how big of a change in darkness that range is.

As for the Cats, these are the two offered by magnaflow. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0086C47C6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1409518262&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004BDK1FG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1409518341&sr=8-1

I was thinking about upgrading both cats, but if I don't need the rear one, what else would I need to do besides simply removing it and putting a straight piece of pipe in? I know you said there are no wires which is what I noticed. So how does the car get the sensor readings as you stated with the system it uses?

I'll try switching the bulbs. I have a multimeter, I just didn't bring it or have a 10mm socket. I should buy one though since the car uses it quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The second cat is unmetered, and therefore legal to remove in states which require emissions checks. I passed emissions with flying colors in CO without the second cat, twice. Consider replacing it with a resonator, glasspack, muffler, whathaveyou; it will help keep noise levels civil if you do decide to go with a header in the future, and there's already that nice cavity in the exhaust channel making room for it.

The FSWerks Stealth exhaust comes with a resonator replacing the second cat. Very nice sound...

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I know the legalities of tint for my state. I just didn't know where in the 10-20% range I would want to put my rear passenger windows (and the back window). I'm not sure how big of a change in darkness that range is.

As for the Cats, these are the two offered by magnaflow. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0086C47C6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1409518262&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004BDK1FG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1409518341&sr=8-1

I was thinking about upgrading both cats, but if I don't need the rear one, what else would I need to do besides simply removing it and putting a straight piece of pipe in? I know you said there are no wires which is what I noticed. So how does the car get the sensor readings as you stated with the system it uses?

The 1st one is very similar to a '05-'07 st mani/cat. I just sold mine for $100. a couple of weeks ago. Get a fwerks header & a tune for more power/mpg.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out, the car won't pass inspection without the rear cat. I'll probably buy both of the CATs mentioned a post or two above this. I'll also probably install 20% or maybe 15% tint on the rear. I'll be installing my cold air tonight. Maybe I'll be doing spark plugs as well if I have a way to check the gap and grease for them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
If I went with the FSwerks header, I assume that this one would remove the CAT. How would I go about deleting the sensors so that they don't trip the damn engine light?

http://www.fswerks.com/products/fs029

I've thought about hollowing out my rear CAT. How noticeable (with a magnaflow CAT back and the header linked above, and the Steeda short air intake) would the car's sound be?

Also, once I find the bezel for the fog lights, I plan on installing them. However, even if I have a factory plug, I plan on using a switch to operate them with my Halos. What bulbs would be the best to hook up 14-18 gauge wire (with also being a decent bright white or having a slight blue tint)

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
If I went with the FSwerks header, I assume that this one would remove the CAT. How would I go about deleting the sensors so that they don't trip the damn engine light?
>>>Get a tune & have it setup to turn the rear 02 senser & egr off.
http://www.fswerks.com/products/fs029

I've thought about hollowing out my rear CAT. How noticeable (with a magnaflow CAT back and the header linked above, and the Steeda short air intake) would the car's sound be?
>>>W/ a intake you'll have a sucking type of roar & w/ a header it'll disapate a little & you'll have a slight header ting noise at low rpms. I'd recommed the stealth muffler w/ the header. A header is going to change the tone.
Also, once I find the bezel for the fog lights, I plan on installing them. However, even if I have a factory plug, I plan on using a switch to operate them with my Halos. What bulbs would be the best to hook up 14-18 gauge wire (with also being a decent bright white or having a slight blue tint)
>>>I use regular bulbs that came w/ them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The FSwerks header has a spot for the o2. Just tell me what I would need to do to make sure no lights pop up and I can do it myself. There's no shops around here that can do a tune, and I'm not taking it to a dealer.

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
2 cats because upper is a light off cat which comes online much faster then the later one, which is used to lower emissions even further. They may switch air on/off between the cats to enhance emission burning as well.

States do not ultimately rule screwing with the cars even though they may have different regulations, it is still a violation of FEDERAL law to even think about changing anything that affects emissions negatively. Just an FYI.............

·
Registered
582 Posts
talk to Turbo Tom at Focus Power for a tune. He is 1turbofocus on here. he will hook you up with a life time of N/A tunes and updates through email. good guy. the cars going to be loud, no way around it. duratecs get pissy when you take out the cats.

the first cat in the header does most of the cleaning, but is too small to do it all. the second is a scrubber that takes care of the less lethal components in exhaust vapor. cars with more room have a 3 way cat on each bank instead, or two small cats and a single scrubber, or 2 of each on both banks. there is always a sensor before and after the first cat to make sure the car is not polluting, but the scrubbers arent monitored.

I dont care what anyone says, in a very technical sense, altering a cars emissions systems is illegal. we just dont care, because we want the three horsepower it creates and most of the time they have better things to do than prosecute for it. this is America after all, modifying cars, legally or not, is part of our history.

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
Yes and true but sometimes the feds go on binges and beware, I've seen two incidents where they picked up people for cutting cats and people went to jail there.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Motors now a days are a lot cleaner then 30+ yrs ago.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts