Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i drive a 2001 ford focus 4dr sedan and i wanna know if i gut out the cat converter if it will do anything for me performance wise. and if you all have and mods for a sedan and also if in parts catalogs if it says ford focus zx3 will it be compatable with a sedan. thanks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Your best bet is to skip the cat gutting since you live in Texas and have to pass emissions tests. Get yourself a Random Technologies high flow cat. I just had my car inspected yesterday and it passed with no problems. And yes usually if a product is said to work for a ZX3 it will typically work for a sedan with a zetec in it. What kind of sedan do you have?

·
Registered
116 Posts
The zx3 catback dosn't work on the sedan. It's longer. They say everything else works though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they do imissions testing in san antonio? what does the emissions test consist of what is it that that they do?

·
Registered
291 Posts
when you get an inspection they check to see if your putting out to much exhaust junk. The smog you see in the city is from everyones exhaust. They try cutting down on that by setting limits to how much stuff can go threw your exhaust. Better for the enviroment= less horse power for you car....

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
How many miles on your car, if you replace your cat and its not a factory part in under 50k miles, you can get into trouble and fail the visual. if they do one there. you have to check local laws.

·
Registered
228 Posts
A lot of it also depends on the tech who inspects the car. The guy that did mine yesterday couldn't hit "P" (for pass) fast enough to fill in all the blanks in the computer. Only thing I was concerned with was the emissions test which I passed with no problem.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
shaneZx3 said:
The zx3 catback dosn't work on the sedan. It's longer. They say everything else works though.
I believe he's talking about the Catalylic Convertor, not the cat back exhaust.

·
Registered
187 Posts
How many states do a visual inspection?

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
I had a friend who use to work at the emissions station. He said that in Washington state, they usually don't do a visual unless your car is loud and looks/sounds like you have engine mods. Then they make you pop open your hood.

·
Registered
187 Posts
So can they not pass you for what you do to your car? I thought emissions was all that really mattered.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
First of all, if you gut your catalytic converter you won't pass the emissions test. Then they may want to look under the hood for a little more investigating and I imagine they wouldn't be too happy to discover that your converter was gutted.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Focusedat50 said:
First of all, if you gut your catalytic converter you won't pass the emissions test. Then they may want to look under the hood for a little more investigating and I imagine they wouldn't be too happy to discover that your converter was gutted.
They won't know its gutted without looking inside it.

They would just give you a fix it ticket.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
wont the 2nd 02 throw a code if the cats gutted? which would fail the emissions test when they UBD it?

·
Registered
187 Posts
hmm, i was more or less talking about the inspection itself. can they refuse to pass you solely on if you modded your car? i really don't care about emissions (yet, since i haven't modded my car). how many states do a visual or emissions test anyway. i reiterate the fact that i'm new [:(] and i haven't even had to get my car inspected but i think i may have to later this year...can't remember off the top of my head. I'm just 'scared' to mod my car and the station tell me i can't drive it (or something similar). perhaps i worry too much [:p]

·
Registered
798 Posts
They won't fail you just from mods. But when you take out the cat you will fail. They don't inspect our cars untill they are atleast four years old so you should be set till 2007 if it's the same over there. You could just put the cat back on for the inspection and take it off after the inspection.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts