Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys

bought me a cfm race cat, but having looked at my cat, it seems like im going to have trouble removing it

it almost looks as if its welded on, because were it connects to the header around the bottom of the flange, it looks like its one piece

the two bolts on the top look like i can just about remove them, the the bottom bolt just looks like a piece of metal rather then a bolt,

can anyone advise me on this??

does anyone else think that were the bottom bolt is, its been welded????

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I don't know about the welding issue, but I had to use an impact wrench to get the bolts to budge. Yours looks pretty crazy. Maybe take it to an exhaust shop and just pay to have it done, may need to be torched off.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Looks like the rust goblins got your nuts ;)). get them off by any means, and replace with some stainless hardware so it won't happen again.

·
FF Affiliate
31,102 Posts
Cut or grind them off with a side grinder is what I do or go to a muffler shop and let then torch them off , have new bolts ( get stainless bolts nuts and washers ) and but the new bolts in , drive home then change it out

Take a magnet with you to get the stainless bolts , a magnet wont stick to good quality stainless

Tom

·
Registered
107 Posts
What Tom said.

I had to cut all of mine out when I installed my HFC and get new hardware.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've done a few of these.

Everyone covered it. They're beyond reusing. I don't even believe PB Blaster (can you get it in UK?) would help. An air wrench or cutting wheel will make short work of them. CFM cats are supposed to come with new hardware but IF you decide not to use stainless steel, you might want to use a good high temperature (1500 degree F) anti-seize lube on the new nuts and bolts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts