Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i have a set of rims i am trying to sell and plan to get an exhaust with the money. i was looking at mbrp till i was told i should bet 2.5 instead of the mbrp's 2.25. now i'm looking at the trubendz 2.5 magnaflow system. i'm thinking of getting the one with the high flo cat so i don't have to worry about emissions testing so much. my question is will the cat make a difference in the sound/performance of the exhaust compared to the no cat version? how do you feel about the magnaflow? thank you- J

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
ussally the cat helps to quiet things down it will be louder without the cat but has for emission testing I have a race header and no cat and I pass just get some MIL eliminators has long has the computer says the cat is working then you should have a problem I passed twice like that and i don't have a cat.

·
2,272 Posts
I purchased the high flow cat pipe adter running their exhaust without the cat, so I know exactly how both sound. I can tell you that the the high flow cat gets rid of the raspiness of the exhaust without the cat. I can't tell you how it effects volume because I also installed a resonator at the same time but it would probably be a little bit quieter as well. I did not notice any decrease in performance when installing the cat. I would imagine you might lose 1 or 2 hp over no cat. It will still be a huge upgrade over the stock exhaust.

Here are two exhaust soundclips

1) 2.5" trubendz exhaust w/magnaflow muffler, 2nd cat deleted

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=video&file=beforeres.AVI

2) 2.5" trubendz exhaust w/magnaflow muffler, high-flow cat and added 14" magnaflow resonator.

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=video&file=afterres.AVI

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i want to be heard but not rediculously loud. i'm hoping that the system with the cat will be perfect. SD_Focus, was it too loud for you w/o the cat and resonator?

·
2,272 Posts
jmotank said:
i want to be heard but not rediculously loud. i'm hoping that the system with the cat will be perfect. SD_Focus, was it too loud for you w/o the cat and resonator?
No, I liked the sound. It was just a bit too raspy for me. I like how it sounds very clean now. I installed the cat and resonator to lower the volume for a race header. Turns out it was still loud as hell with a race header. oh well [rolleyes]

·
2,272 Posts
It was loud without the cat, but i personally don't like loud exhausts. It may not be too loud for you. I'm not sure what effect the cat had on total volume more than the resonator, but I can say that my setup sounds very nice right now. My intake is still louder than the exhaust, and they both work together nicely. I think you should buy it [thumb]

Also if you live in a state where they just plug into the computer and look for codes, you don't have to worry about having that cat because you won't throw any codes. As for me, I live in CA so I don't even know if the high-flow cat will pass a visual inspection. It is CARB approved but only as a replacement for broken/damaged cats or cars with over 100,000 miles. I don't think it will be a problem, however.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sweet, now all i need to do is get someone to buy my rims so i can get it!!!! i think i'll get the system with the cat. plus with this being a direct bolt on i can do the install in my garage at home. LOL

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh, and by the way, is it worth the money to pay for the stainless over the aluminized?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, so i'll def pay the money for the stainless. i think it's $400 total shipped to the door. so you had the second cat deleted and said it is loud. i'm gonna get the system with the high flow cat. do you think it may quiet it a bit? now that you have had it for a while what are your over all thoughts? i've heard minimal bad things of trubendz and lots of good stuff. i was gonna go mbrp but was told to get 2.5 instead of 2.25 so trubendz is the next cost efficient option.

·
2,272 Posts
I think he was too harsh when he said fitment was terrible. Fitment was not bad at all for me. It went on perfectly. That is, everything slid into place and bolted up fine with no problems. Sure fitment might have been better, but there were no issues.

·
Registered
454 Posts
oh yes there is. especially when i've installed 3 magnaflow systems on other foci and it was flawless.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, so, is it worth the money??

·
Registered
454 Posts
i agree just make sure they send you the clamps and have fun installing it

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sweet. now, like i said, just to sell my rims to get the money! LOL. anyone that might know someone with a honda or something that wants rims let me know. i have 17" 6 spoke gunmetal with a polished lip. rode on for a very short period. great shape. i need to sell these to get my exhaust. LOL. p.s.- they are not for focus. LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts