Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't have time to wait for the Dealer to do the warranty work, so I ordered the part and fixed it myself.
Man...20-30 minutes well spent.
I knew my heat shield wasn't rattling, but there was still something making a horrible racket.
I've been trying to track this down for at least a month.
Thanks to the following TSB...it's fixed. [:D]
TSB 05-14-12

The upper bracket broke right where the 2 bolts are that hold it to the lower bracket.
I couldn't even see it, till I got a mirror out.

NOTES:
1) Be careful of that O2 sensor wire!
I unplugged it from the connector, and secured it out of the way for the bracket R&R.
2) You can see how I cured the heat shield rattle with some large fender washers.

Attachments

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yep...it's broken all right.
I thought this was a redesigned part, but as far as I can tell, it's identical to what I pulled off the car.

Attachments

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I added a couple of large washers to help distribute the load.
We'll see how long this bracket lasts...[confused]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Here is the bracket that got reinforced. You see, there is another piece of metal welded on there where it broke.

I thought you could only get the bracket you got with the cat.

Attachments

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the bracket that got reinforced.
I think the 04 models got the reinforced bracket, but I'm going to take another look.

I thought you could only get the bracket you got with the cat.
Available separately now. [;)]
That's the part number in the first pic, and it's also shown in the linked TSB post.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Mine was not only broken, as you can see. The cat side bracket had the bolts stripped out. I didn't want to buy the whole cat, so I tapped out bigger holes. Seemed to work okay.

All this after the dealer refused to fix it under warranty, saying I must have hit something. I returned, with revised bracket in hand. Their response was then that Ford strengthens parts all the time, doesn't mean there was anything wrong with it. I was unaware they had a team of cost ADDERS running around.

As for running without, I have heard people doing this without a problem, but I don't see much else around there to support it, so I put it back on.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm looks like the second one is the revised piece.
If you're referring to the lower bracket (engine bracket), it sure appears so.
I'm going to crawl underneath the car this evening and see if mine has that doubler plate attached to it.

Would it be terrible to not use any brackets?
That's a heavy CAT...I'd hate to have it just hanging from the back of the header.
I spoke with FORDSVTPARTS (where I placed the order) and he mentioned the same thing.
In that, it's probably not advisable to run without the bracket.
I tend to agree after examining the system a bit closer while I was working on it.
The only other mounting point (other than the header) is clear back by the flex pipe.

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
I'm glad I saw this post, reminded me to take mine off and be done with it. Might be the source of my unknown annoying rattle

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was sure the source of mine. [mad]
I couldn't find it, but when taking off from stops and driving at 1,800-2,000rpm, I could sure as heck hear it.
I put the front up on jackstands, fired up the engine, and stuck a barbell on the gas pedal to hold it at 2,000.
Then I crawled underneath and finally found the area where it was coming from, but still couldn't see where it was.
Once I got a mirror up above that bracket, it was pretty clear. [?|]

G

·
I guess It seems a little strange to me that it is hard bolted to the engine bay, where everywhere else the exhaust is on rubber hangers. I would think that it would have something to absorb any vibration. I assume the cracking in the brackets is due to strain/torsion of the bracket because they are solid.

I agree that there should be something holding it up, but perhaps a springy solution might be better. (rubber isolators or a spring hook)

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
The RT doesn't use the bracket. I just forgot to take the bracket off after I removed the stock cat

·
Registered
714 Posts
WD40 this is a nice write up and frequent problem...would you add this to the achive?

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
Oh snap....I was pwned today by that upper bracket bolt. Just became frustrated and left it on putting the lower bracket bolts back in for now. I used PB Blaster to no avail, just seems that there isn't a good way to get into that small of an area and wrench on that frozen bolt [?|]

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
i'm wondering... i know my heat sheild around my cat has been rattling, but could it be the bracket as well? like doug said i too only hear it around 1800-2000 rpms...

i'm gonna have to check it soon. i'm taking my car in tomorrow for oil change and other problems so i'll bring that up to them.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.