Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a stock 2012 focus sedan and am i would like to mod it and was told to start with a cold air intake but i was told that stock air filters are able to out perform untuned engines exhaust rate so the question arises should i get a new exhaust or a CAI.

·
Registered
614 Posts
RS airbox + mountune filter!

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
I will jump on the RS air box boat. good mod. and cheap. Get a tune too.

·
FF Affiliate
30,144 Posts
I would start with a Tune , more bang for the buck all around

Then start looking for a good header and Exh

The RS box looks good but dont think its adding any HP , if its looks you want it looks good

Tom

·
Registered
614 Posts
Snorkel delete too if it hasn't been done

·
Registered
15 Posts
I pretty sure I know the answer but I'll ask anyways.

The RS Airfilter box with the drop in filter gets the same results you'd get from a K&N CAI right? The latter must be cheeper.

·
Registered
47 Posts

The RS Airfilter box with the drop in filter gets the same results you'd get from a K&N CAI right? The latter must be cheeper.
Unless I misunderstand the question, the former looks to be about the same bang for considerably less bucks than the latter.

For the former: the RS box is about $65. An AEM (owned by K&N?) Dry filter is about $41. So, $106 total, give or take.

As to the latter: I found the K&N CAI setup priced at about $300 on Amazon.

A larger diameter Ford throttle body could be added to the RS Airbox/Filter and still come in around half the price of the K&N CAI kit. Leaving $150 or so in the wallet to put toward a tune that either would require in order to make it work well.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts

It does not get the same but it gets similar. you will probably get a few extra WHP with the K&N. the question then is, is that extra couple WHP worth the hundreds of extra dollars?

·
Registered
614 Posts
I would say the RS box performs better since it retains the stock cold air inlets from the crossmember and allows additional air from the headlight gap especially with an open end mountune or green filter

·
Registered
614 Posts
^^^^ thats assuming you also did a snorkel delete and add a ST inlet or a scoop to the crossmember

1 - 15 of 15 Posts